BookSmart

font/size doesn't work well

I have published a few small books with BookSmart before. However, this time I am having problems.

I downloaded the newest Booksmart software for Mac and I am having problems with formatting text.

1. When I select and choose the font size, it doesn’t work most of the time.
2. Ditto with font selections.
3. When I past in text from Word, I get a period and several spaces for each paragraph (which is not what I have in Word).
4.in "customize styles," after I select options, nothing seems to register.

I have re-installed with no better effect. I can’t use Blurb with this new software. I wish I hadn’t updated.

What am I doing wrong?

JF

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
fresiastudio
Nov 19, 2009 1:46am PDT
fresiastudio

I think the problem is that extra formating that Words hides in your text and which BookSmart responds to in s some unpredictable way. I suggest you “launder” your text by pasting it first in a plain text editor (Like" TextEditor") and then copying that and pasting it into BookSmart.

Posted by
jshook
Nov 19, 2009 7:11am PDT
jshook

I suggest you “launder” your text by pasting it first in a plain text editor (Like" TextEditor") and then copying that and pasting it into BookSmart.

Yup, Note Pad in Windows works well for this. But you can get away with using Word too. The trick I’ve found is to make sure you’ve selected the entire text block in BookSmart before applying your formatting changes. That usually works for me, though I find I sometimes need to apply style edits in BookSmart a couple of times before they take. And sometimes I’ll need to format the last line separately. I’m not sure why, but I suspect there’s some hidden formatting character at the end of a given text block done in Word. That character is not visible, but if you don’t select it, your BookSmart edits don’t fully take.

For really long text blocks, I think working with a plain text editor is less frustrating.

Posted by
novalightmik
Nov 22, 2009 11:05pm PDT
novalightmik