BookSmart

Adding colour to a text box

I am using a background image under text. The text is not too clear, so I would like to add a semi-transparent solid colour between the text and the background. Is this possible?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
fgates
Jan 12, 2010 1:25pm PDT
fgates

Not w/BookSmart. You have to create the pg in another program, save as jpeg, then add to your book pg.

Posted by
loricherokee
Jan 12, 2010 2:18pm PDT
loricherokee

Thanks. Explains why I couldn’t find it…

Posted by
fgates
Jan 12, 2010 3:20pm PDT
fgates

You don’t have to use another program for the full page. You can do this in BookSmart by editing the page layout and placing an image container about the same size of the text box (or the part of the text box that has text in it). Then, in an image editing program, create a box the size and color you want and reduce the transparency of the box to about 50%. THEN – this is the important part – save that box as a .png, NOT a jpg.  Png format allows you to have transparency (jpgs do not), and BookSmart allows you to use pngs as well as jpgs. Then import the png into BookSmart and insert in into the image container behind the text box. You may have to play around with the placement of the boxes to get the image into that container, THEN move it behind the text box. I’ve done this on a number of occasions and it works really well. You may also want to play around with the % transparency, depending on the colors and background.

Posted by
ronadaniels
Jan 13, 2010 12:02pm PDT
ronadaniels

Thanks, it worked .

Posted by
fgates
Jan 17, 2010 10:36am PDT
fgates

This technique also lets you put borders around text boxes… just make the image container bigger than the text container. You can then use the built-in borders option or place a .jpg or .png file in the container. You can also use this technique to put a border around an image that is a bleed. You then can get a border around the sides of the image that do not bleed off the page. Being able to nest text and image containers allows you to get creative.

Posted by
needlepoint
Feb 20, 2010 2:04pm PDT
needlepoint

Has this been added to the "wish list for next upgrade"?
A recent Swedish magazine review of  POD suppliers was comparing which did and didnt have it. I really wish Blurb would add it to the next BookSmart upgrade. U have a big need for it right now (particularly a transparent color).

Posted by
Paulsson
Mar 5, 2010 3:12am PDT
Paulsson