BookSmart

Saving Booksmart project on CD...

Does anyone have any bright ideals as to how I can go about saving my book project in Booksmart onto a CD? I’ve gone through all the steps as suggested by Blurb, but I find that Booksmart will not open on the CD, and it notifies me  that the files are not there on CD to open Booksmart.

So what am I doing wrong?…

Blessings,

ella

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
EvangelistET
Mar 24, 2010 2:00pm PDT
EvangelistET

A bit more information would help Ella. Quite how did you go about saving the book to CD? Could you give a reference to the Blurb instructions you followed? That would make it easier for forum members to offer help.

I have saved a book to DVD (a CD did not have enough room) by using File…..Create Book Archive/Backup, then writing the resultant file to a DVD. Then to retrieve that I used File….Import Book or Template and selected that file.  Is that what you did?

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 24, 2010 3:32pm PDT
tfrankland

hi Tony,

yes, I went to archive/Backup and tried to burn it on a CD. But nothing happened. Then I had a friend who knows more about computer than I, try to save it but he was unable to do so as well. Booksmart showed up on the CD but it will not  open.

Thanks,

ella

Posted by
EvangelistET
Mar 24, 2010 5:04pm PDT
EvangelistET

Did you archive it to a file on the hard drive first, or did you try to archive it directly to a CD?

Archive to a file first.  Assuming you are using PC and not MAC, find the file in Windows Explorer.  Right click on the file.  If it is bigger than about 650MBytes, it won’t fit on a CD (I know a CD will take about 700MBytes, but with some disks you start getting failures near the outer edge).  If this is the case, you’ll have to back it up to a DVD which will hold about 4,000MBytes.

Burn this file to the apropriate disk.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Mar 24, 2010 5:50pm PDT
Charybdis

Sorry, I forgot to say, Right click on file name, then click properties.  It will show you how big the file is.  Or if you know how to turn on file details, it will show you there as well.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Mar 24, 2010 5:53pm PDT
Charybdis

Ella,

when you tried the File…..Import did you get an error message? Did it not see the book on the CD? Did it just do nothing?

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 25, 2010 4:17am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony & Chary,

Thanks to both of you for your help…  Tony, when I did the first archive/backup, it asked where to store it, so I placed it in my docs, only to realize that each time I make a change in Booksmart, or what happens in booksmart, it also happens in the stored booksmart in my document.. Then I tried saving it again, and received a message saying that the files were  missing and I was unable to open it, although it showed up.

Moreover,  Booksmart has been acting up, since I started this project, and each time I correct a word, the screen  jumps all over the place, sometimes the cursor jumps to another page. Or if I back space or front space, sentences on that page move around and get out of order…just a headache! Fonts don’t stay in place and I must change them manually each time I write, etc. I’m using XP, so I don’t know what’s going on.

After receiving my proof copy,  I tried to saved a copy of my Booksnart project on a CD, but it gaves me a message that it could not be open. It shows up on the CD, but I can’t open it. So, I  tried to send an attachment copy to my friend so he coud put it on CD, and of course, he was unable to open the Booksmart copy of the attachment, even though he downloaded the software from the Blurb site. So the only place I have a copy of my book is in my documents and the desktop booksmart where I work. Oh, my friend also tried to save it on an USB or whatever its called …lol . And the Booksmart showed up, but it also would not open.

Booksmart has given me a pure headache these past seven months with this book.  Tech support has been great, and I’ve heard from them many times, and have done everything they have suggested, including deleted pages from my book and started over, and I’m still having problems with this booksmart program… and I’m fit to be tired! My friend and I have followed all the Blurb suggestions for backup book, and still can’t find the answer.

Chary, I have not tried what you have suggested, but I will have my friend to try it and see if it will work. And will let you guys know the results. In fact, he said he is going to become a member of  blurb so that he can communicate directly with you guys and support techs, as to how he should go about  placing this project on a CD, and or saving a backup. He has been asking something about   .extentions… I don’t have a clue lol. but he will get on the fourm to find out more about the archive and backup files.

Thank you both so very much.

Blessings,

ella

Posted by
EvangelistET
Mar 25, 2010 5:55pm PDT
EvangelistET

A tale of woe :-(          I feel for you.

Could you have a go at answering the questions in my last post please.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 26, 2010 12:19am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony,

Sorry, about that, thought I had mentioned in my woes,  what happened :0)..

Ok, so here’s what’s happening: I went to files, clicked on create book archive/backup, and in the box it said: file name/export and Save as exported book. So I clicked on export to my document. Then when I tried to open in my document, I received an error message which said:Error no JVM on system. Please define Exe4j_java home, and some other explaining.

Hope this is what you’re asking.

Thnaks,

ella

Posted by
EvangelistET
Mar 26, 2010 10:17am PDT
EvangelistET

Hi Ella,

I’m sorry to hear about this. At this point it’s best you contact us here at customer support for assistance, as this may take some troubleshooting.

Regards,

Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
Mar 26, 2010 1:31pm PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

I agree with Michael, Java issues are somewhat beyond my ability.

Let us know how you get on Ella.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 26, 2010 2:09pm PDT
tfrankland

Thanks a lot Michael and Tony. I will make contact once again with CS and see what other suggestions can be applied, in order to back up my book project on CD.

I also, see on the "Working with text a Nightmare"  thread, which Michael has locked down. But my woes with booksmart that I have endured over the past seven months with my first book project, and even the more with trying to proof and correct  the second book, Tony, I see you have experienced back in 2009, and  others are also experiencing the same in 2010. So where is the improvement in the Booksmart upgrade? It is really nerve wracking and a headache., and giving me fits LOL… I do believe this software was not designed for text only books in mind, but for photo books only.

ella

Posted by
EvangelistET
Mar 30, 2010 10:46am PDT
EvangelistET