BookSmart

Is 180 dpi enough to ensure clear crisp photos?

Hi,

ive created a book in Large Landscape format with photos ranging from 1 to 10 per page. Some photos are full page. All photos are 180dpi. They were taken with a 10 and 12 mega pixel camera. 

Im just wondering, will the photos be nice and crisp and clear? the minimum is 150.  It will take a lot of work to change them all to 300. Should full page ones be 300?

thanks

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
seaminerals
Mar 29, 2010 4:47am PDT
seaminerals

Based upon your question, I would guess you do not understand the concept of dpi/ppi.

I answer this question about once a week, and there are numerous threads on this forum that discuss it in great detail.

If I took a photo that measured 6×4 inches and was 300 dpi, and put it in a container that measured 12×8 inches, would it still be 300 dpi?  Your statements above indicate that you believe it would be.  The dpi that is "assigned" to an image has nothing to do with the dpi it will have when put into any particular container.

In your case, the photos in the 10 per page case will have a much higher dpi than the single photo per page.  In fact, if you are using the full resolution of a 12MP camera, the 10 per page may print crappier than the 1 per page.  This is because booksmart has to reduce the amount of information in the photo by a very large amount.  Commercially available programs such as photoshop are much better at this than BookSmart.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Mar 29, 2010 8:08pm PDT
Charybdis

okay thanks for your reply but i dont need to be insulted about whether i know and understand the concept or not.that is not what i asked or brought up. 

i have made numerous of books previously all in 300dpi in photoshop and they turned out fine, but for some reason this  book (13×11) when i insert a picture that size made in photoshop its blurry which is why i have made it in booksmart. 

Posted by
seaminerals
Mar 30, 2010 2:01am PDT
seaminerals

Did not mean to be insulting, but your initial post and your response both imply that you do not understand the difference between the dpi attached to the file, and the dpi that the image will be printed with.  I make this assumption because you keep stating the dpi attached to the file.  This is useless information, and has absolutely nothing to do with the dpi in Booksmart.  I stated this in my post above, and the only thing you responded with was another photoshop dpi number, which I’ll state again, has no value in trying to answer your questions.  If you truly understood dpi in terms of image size and print size, you would know this, ergo my assumption.

The only numbers that are important is the number of pixels (height and width) of the image, and the size of the container in Booksmart that you are putting it into.  Somebody two weeks ago wanted to know why their 4000 dpi photos were getting a low resolution warning from Booksmart.  I made the same assumption about them.  That thread is here;

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/4/topics/8162

In Photoshop under Image Size, find the image size in pixels.  In Booksmart, hover the mouse over the container you want to put the image in.  Booksmart will tell you how many pixels (height and width) are required for 300 dpi printing.  To calculate how many dpi your photo will print with, it’s simply:

(PS/BS)*300

Where PS is the image size in pixels reported by Photoshop, and BS is the container size reported by Booksmart.  Make sure you use the same dimension (height or width) from each program.

I don’t care if you’re reporting 180 dpi from a 12MP camera.  If you are putting ten 12MP photos on a page in Booksmart, you are going to run into problems in short order.  But I can’t say if you are doing this or not because the only useful information you’ve provide in two posts is that the photos were taken with 10 and 12MP cameras.

Good Luck,

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Mar 30, 2010 7:41pm PDT
Charybdis

Wow …Mike seems to be a real douche.

…and he didn’t even answer the question.

Posted by
happypoppeye
Apr 19, 2012 11:45am PDT
happypoppeye

Mike the douche answered the question the best he could given the sparse amount of information he was supplied.  Seaminerals never provided the resolution of his images, in pixels, and in both replys I stated that that information was necessary in order to answer the question.  In the second reply I provided an example and equation of how he could do it himself. 

I suppose in the first reply I could have phrased my opening statement better.  I did not intend to make it sound snarky.  Rereading it I can see how it could be taken that way.  But I do stand by my assertion that seamineral, based on his statements above, had/has a very basic misconception of ppi as it applies to using images in BookSmart.

What pearls of wisdom would happypoppeye the genius have bestowed upon seamineral?

Mike the douche

Posted by
Charybdis
Apr 19, 2012 1:59pm PDT
Charybdis

Mike’s response was actually spot on!

It was not possible to answer the question the OP asked and Mike did his best to home in on the actual issue, though that was obviously not appreciated.

Before critising the response can I suggest you have a read of this post?

It will highlight that dpi (although promulgated by Blurb) is not enough to determine whether an image will print well – the size of the original image and the size of the image container on the page are much more important in determining whether an acceptable print is likely.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Apr 19, 2012 2:12pm PDT
tfrankland