BookSmart

Locked Custom layouts disappear!

I am in the middle of creating a large photobook. So far, I’m extremely happy that Blurb has added the custom layout feature — but was shocked this morning to find that my custom layouts are now gone! I’m hoping someone can suggest how to recover these layouts.

I’m storing my blurb book on an external hard drive. It seems that when the hard drive is turned on and off, I have to reset blurb to find my book (ie “set library location”). Otherwise, blurb doesn’t remember where it had saved the book information. Once this is reset, all is well. However, after doing this and starting to work on my book, I found that the custom layout information wasn’t available for my book.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Also, if I start a new book, how can I make sure I can use my custom layouts that I used for a different book?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Posted by
bsg2001
May 4, 2010 3:26am PDT
bsg2001

Hi Ben,

I’m sorry to hear about this. Please contact us here at customer support for assistance.

Regards,
Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
May 4, 2010 7:56am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

Hi bsg200,

We’ve just identified this as a bug in 2.6.0. It’s now up to our BookSmart team to research and implement a fix for a future release of the software.

Your custom layouts used in a Large Landscape book should display just fine. However, they will not be accesible in the My Layout menu for use on newly created books.

Note: Your custom layouts are still there, they are just not visible.

For others having this problem please contact Customer Support to provide feedback on this.

[Update]: A fix for this has been identified by our engineering team which will hopefully be included in the forthcoming update of the software.

-Craig 

Posted by
csm
May 6, 2010 4:12pm PDT
csm Icon_staff

Here’s a temporary way to get around the problem.

Click on a custom layout page you already created, go into edit layout and click on apply & save to your custom layouts.The program says it already exists, so just save and overwrite. From then on, at least until it disappears again, it will show in My Page Layouts.

Posted by
lkbside
May 9, 2010 9:01am PDT
lkbside

Thanks for the update on the status of this bug. However, I must say that such a bug should never have gotten out to the user community.

Jim

Posted by
Jim915
May 17, 2010 1:34pm PDT
Jim915

Hi all,

This bug has been resolved in the latest release of BookSmart version 2.6 found here.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
May 18, 2010 4:32pm PDT
csm Icon_staff

This bug hasn’t been fixed because I just upgraded to the newest version and My Page Layouts are gone. Will be sending them email.

Posted by
needlepoint
May 22, 2010 1:05pm PDT
needlepoint

Agreed… I too just ran across this issue for the first time.  No matter how many times I save the layouts, it disappears the next time the program is closed opened.  For a book with over 300 pages and about 50 custom layouts, I cannot go in and save them again every time I stop work on a client project.. 

I do see them saved properly in the CustomLayouts.layout file- this also never happended to me before and I just finished 3 other books in this size… this was a blog book – could that make a difference?  Please help… this is a serious bug.. Thx!

Posted by
Jingothecat
Jun 22, 2010 10:43am PDT
Jingothecat

For this type of problem I think you’d be better asking Blurb staff for help rather than forum members (If you haven’t already). Go to the Help menu above and select Customer Support, from there select the Contact Support tab.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 22, 2010 11:06am PDT
tfrankland

Hi All,

Upgrading to the latest version of BookSmart will fix this problem. Locking this post to avoid further confusion.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Jun 23, 2010 3:01pm PDT
csm Icon_staff