BookSmart

print to pdf crashes in 1.9

Hello,

I am having trouble printing to pdf.  I have tried this twice and it keeps crashing.  It work for about an hour and only makes it to page 13, then it crashes all together.  Anyone have any suggestions?  thanks!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
ksalzillo
Oct 15, 2007 3:53pm PDT
ksalzillo

which version of acrobat are you using?  i have 7.0.8 and have no issues at all.  it takes about 5 min. to print a 78 page book from booksmart to an acrobat pdf file.

Posted by
pearson32
Oct 15, 2007 5:00pm PDT
pearson32

I am using 6.0.6 (and I checked for upgrades) This is the message I am getting <font size="3"><font color="#000000"><font face="Times New Roman">%[ Error: ioerror; OffendingCommand: imageDistiller ]% </font></font></font>

Posted by
ksalzillo
Oct 16, 2007 7:30am PDT
ksalzillo

Nope.  Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Pro.  It works flawlessly. 

Posted by
pearson32
Oct 16, 2007 8:15am PDT
pearson32

thanks!

Posted by
ksalzillo
Oct 16, 2007 8:19am PDT
ksalzillo

Pearson32, I tried your approach and it still worked very slowly.  I downloaded the free 30-day trial version of Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 and it still took hours for a 200 book page to convert to PDF.  It did 50 pages in about 2 hours, so I just let the rest process overnight.  When I got up in the morning, there was the whole book . . .  finally.  This does not seem like a very efficient process to me.

Posted by
emvic
Oct 19, 2007 7:46am PDT
emvic

ksalzilo,

I am curious about what kind of system architecture (operating system) you are working with Blurb BookSmart.

My experience tells me that I have no problem working with “printing” Blurb proof book as PDF format. I also use ‘advanced’ feature that comes with Mac OSX or Adobe Acrobat Pro to process PDF format.

Unless if you have plenty of horsepower or such muscle in motherboard such as dual microprocessor, such as MacPro dual microprocessors to process PDF formatting process.

If you have InDesign application, I prefer that it is done with multiple, many pages around InDesign application as opposed to Blurb BookSmart. Of course, I understand that not every Blurberati users have the luxury having the access or own InDesign CS3 application.

Hope that helps, no?

Posted by
brianbonitz
Oct 19, 2007 9:50am PDT
brianbonitz

HI-

I tried printing out a 18 page book yesterday (straight from book smart) and it took FOUR hours to complete.Half the pages were blank even!  Is this normal?

Thanks.

Posted by
sharo00
Oct 19, 2007 9:57am PDT
sharo00

sharoOO, Advice is to contact Technical Support (www.blurb.com/help/technical_support). It’s not normal. My system usually take about 65 minutes for a78-98 page photo book. Not real fast but OK. Never tried a 200-300 page book. I assume the time scales up words. But four hours for 18 pages is abit much. I’m assuming you’re not using dial-up.

Posted by
lcarreira
Oct 19, 2007 12:29pm PDT
lcarreira

Hi all,

I still haven’t been able to print to pdf.  I am using my work computer which has adobe standard on it and is connected to a server with lots of space to save things.   I would consider downloading the free trial of adobe 8 for 30 days, but I am afraid it will overwrite the existing software and we are not really supposed to download software on our work computers.  I emailed blurb customer service about this.  The first response was great and ethusiastic about helping me.  After i wrote back and told them that it still wasn’t working, I never heard back again, even after sending multipe emails.  They have just ignored my emails.  I have been trying to resolve this since Oct 15th…

Posted by
ksalzillo
Oct 23, 2007 7:58am PDT
ksalzillo

Same problem here. When I print to PDF, or to my Kodak EasyShare 5300, booksmart crashes a few seconds after the print command. No error messages, just closes. I have the latest version of Acrobat Professional installed.

Printing to my LaserJet works without an issue though.

I’m not blaming BookSmart yet, as also Acrobat crashes within a minute of opening any PDF file. Jee…. I hate Vista. Never had so many problems under XP.

Posted by
didekeer
Oct 23, 2007 10:36am PDT
didekeer