BookSmart

why am I crashing constantly? This is not right !

Funny since I was just at the PDN show in NYC yesterday and saw a wonderful working copy of your design software running on a MAC flawlessly. You guys actually made me want to start a new routine and try your applications, hoping that it might truly work wonders for my professional workflow.

After about an hour of ripping the few hairs out of my head I can not even begin to ask why you put out a beta copy of blurb photo book designer? Its a looser on my PC ! I can not even complete adding images before it either crashes or completely stops working and I have to kill the process to get back to anything else I am running. I’ve tried to see if it might be conflicting applications running in the background on my PC, some ram conflicts.. anything els! But I’ve concluded that its your BETA that is the issue here. Please repair it for I can not risk constant crash interruptions. For my time is worth more than working drek software like yours !
Very unhappy!

N.J. Amdur

Freelance Photographer 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
namdur
Oct 20, 2007 1:05pm PDT
namdur

namdur,

The working copy you saw at PhotoPlus is the same version you’ve downloaded. Feedback from folks like you helps us get to the root of problems like the one you’ve described. Please fill out a Technical Support form so that someone can help you get to the bottom of this.

Posted by
kathybad
Oct 22, 2007 10:46am PDT
kathybad

Hi!  I just posted above, but the blurb tech people emailed me and said there is a patch to solve our VERY frustrating problem… do you have a clue what a patch is, where to find it and how to install it?  They said it would be ready by this afternoon! 

Posted by
renee17
Oct 22, 2007 12:11pm PDT
renee17

I just posted this in another thread, but the latest version of BookSmart was uploaded on Friday and you can find info about it here. If this is the same version you have on your computer, please contact Customer Support again and let them know what problems you are having.

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
Oct 22, 2007 1:28pm PDT
kathybad

To whom it may concern…

I am the writer who blew off Blurb for the amount of time I lost creating my book using 1.8.1

I kept the book, and went ahead and began to put together my traditional MS Works book..though it’s clumsiness caused me to keep putting off its completion. I have 6 huge books similarly constructed, and it is a dreadful task.

I have been lurking to see where this new program goes. I read all the comments and yow-yow about 1.9.1, but when I noticed others were having  success with the program this Saturday, I decided to give it a try. I downloaded yesterday (10/21) "asked" it to bring up my work, and, after a few minutes of program calibration, my book re-appeared, just where I’d left off. COMPLETED, but needing some changes. 

The last I’d seen of the book was when my computer died repeatedly, my working on the last 3 pages of the book. 

To make this quick, I finished the book yesterday afternoon. Everything I did was working fine,  including removing and replacing photographs, and adding text hither and yon. The program does not lock up under any of the circumstances 1.8.1 gagged on at my hand.

So, I hope this helps others. I had made a real hellova noise about my problem a month ago. I now need to tell everyone that I am using the program, and have thus far had no problems with it. I would presume I downloaded AFTER the "patch" was put in place to which this thread refers.

I hope this helps repair the thinking I may have affected with my indignance with 1.8.1

I still implore Blurb to avoid dumping Beta’s on the street for folks like us to de-bug. That is so callous and reprehensible as to be nearly indescribable. I don’t care whether Bill Gates has made billions that way or not, it is still treating the end-user with contempt.

So, I’m done yow-yowing for now. I have had a life of pioneering that has been incredible. I plan on using  this program for a number of tomes…

Drivers, Start your Engines..

Gruffy 

Posted by
gruffy
Oct 22, 2007 10:30pm PDT
gruffy

I am having the same issues! I must need to get a life because I am on book number five up to 145 pages of the 194 I needed and crashed AGAIN!  It seems to have soemthing to do with uploading photos.  I have scanned for malware, viruses etc… so angry at this mess and no help as it is holidays.  Already missed making this a gift for Christmas…..was trying to use my off time to get this done….  I realize the booksmart office does not have many folks on staff. Seems they got bigger than they could handle and I can appreciate that!  But wish I had never heard of them at this point…  Days of work lost. 

Posted by
twallen
Dec 29, 2007 9:08pm PDT
twallen

Glad some of you got your patches to fix your problems.  It’s January 8, 2008 now, and I am STILL having a problem with Booksmart going S L O W.   The curser sometimes jumps to another line that I am not even near!  I have notice when I get to othis website, it’s S L O W here!  I have 5.0 on my broadband….other sites go fast.  ???  I never got my book finished to publish for Christmas presents.  Guess I will have to go back to MS Word and do my writing, copy and paste into Booksmart.  What a pain!

Posted by
DanaHume
Jan 8, 2008 6:20pm PDT
DanaHume