BookSmart

Several questions before printing...

Ok, I’ve been lookin’ all around the forums but I couldn’t find answers to these questions I would like to know, before ordering my first book:

I’m using CorelDraw for managing all of my 18cmx18cm – 120pp book:

1. Rich Black: I need to create a rich black for the covers (front/back) and spine of the book. I can do it with a CMYK assinging different values to the inks, but once I convert the covers into imgs (RGB) the rich black becomes a dull grey. I might be wrong but shouldn’t it be R:0 G:0 B:0? Anyway, what happens when Blurb convert the RGB images again to CMYK?...I’m lost in here…

2. Black text: Then I need a K:100% for the inner text (content) of the book. I don’t want the text to be finally print in fully CMYK (just K) since I’m using a font-size of 7pt, and if I use other than K:100% there might be a "moiré" effect I want to avoid. Again… is there any way of creating an RGB text of only black 100%?

3. Proof: I’ve made a proof on my HP LaserJet 2600n, and it looks nice. The book divides into 2 different categories: First, text and graphics in black & red, and then the second part is only photos. But again, I’m worried about the black and the red issues, being CMYK colors.

4. Preview Mode: (OK, I’ve found a few of answers on this topic…) The preview mode is just "preview" right? I mean, the low-quality on images are just because Blurb doesn’t want to kill CPU with the real-size images so the software is makin’ a less-accurate picture rendering, right?

5. Photos pls! not flash: This is kind of request-comment-suggestion thing… One thing I hate about most of the self-publishing websites is that they use imgs (or flash) to show a book… If I’m going to print a book, the best thing to look @ is "real" pictures of already-printed books. That way, I could see how the spline looks like, how the pages look like, how the ink looks like etc. Blurb! please! pictures…not boring flash slideshows anymore ;) thanks.

6. Spline: The spine for my book doesn’t "grow" in preview mode…. How big or small would look like? I’m planning on printing 5 books and I need to create a spline-system that will show "#number + title" and they might have different widths…so please, anyone knows its measures?

Well, I might appreciate anyone could help me on those questions.

Thanks and saludos from Argentina! > Antonio.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
deskfolio
Oct 25, 2007 7:04am PDT
deskfolio

Antonio, not sure in terms of RGB what the values are for the three colors. But in the print world, CMYK—100K, 60C, 60M, 40Y is pretty typical.

Posted by
plattners
Oct 25, 2007 10:54am PDT
plattners

Hey plattners! thanks 4 the feedback ;) yes… I use a similar CMYK composition for rich black on CMYK, but my problem is I still don’t know how to convert those values on RGB. That combination results in a dull grey and not 100% black.

Thanks again and salu2! > Antonio.

Posted by
deskfolio
Oct 25, 2007 12:37pm PDT
deskfolio

Hi there,

Great conversation. Let’s see how I can help.

1) Yes, RGB 0,0,0 will result in a deep, rich black. How rich blacks are displayed by your program might be variable. For instance, in Adobe InDesign, there is an option to display blacks as rich, or as a shade of K. Any RGB 0,0,0 that is part of any of your graphics will print as a rich black CMYK build in your bound-and-finished Blurb book. So long as you Corel program isn’t specially set to output black as a pure shade of K (you would probably know if you set the program this way—consult your program’s help menu if possible), our gitial printers will print your black as a rich CMYK build.

2) As for your text, you’re on the right track. Such small text, even with digital printing (rather than old-school plates which could mis-align) may be at risk of fuzziness with multi-color printing. To get it all in a shade of K, you best option is to type it directly in BookSmart. Black text in BookSmart is programmed to print as CMYK 0,0,0, 100.  If you want to use your design program, you’ll want to consult its settings and help menus. CMYK 0,0,0,100 translate into something like 35,31,32 RGB, but that doesn’t necessarily work in reverse. Our lead tech support rep, Ben, advises that youcreat your images at the precise pixel dimensions as the target image containers specify, and savng them as PNG format. The least amount of loss and compression will affect your page in that scenario, and even if a little C, Y, or M sneaks in there, the printing should still be pretty clean (even with small type).

3) Reds do print a bit different than your screen may show. You can color correct a bit off the proof book you receive if it doesn’t look just the way you want it the first time.

4) Yes.

5) note taken.

6) Your spine should indeed grow. But it should only change slightly upon passing a break at which a larger binding is needed. The spine won’t grow with every page, nor every few pages you add.

Best regards and thanks for Blurbing!

Jeremy 

Posted by
jbates
Oct 31, 2007 1:33pm PDT
jbates