BookSmart

Text moving around in columns

In my trvel-themed predominantly text book, I am having trouble with a couple of pages where the text mysteriously jumps around in the columns and ends up in the wrong order.  It doesn’t end up flowing at all how it’s supposed to and is all out of order on that page.  When I try cutting and pasting it back into the right paragraph order, it crashes.  Help!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
TiffanyNZ
Oct 25, 2007 7:28pm PDT
TiffanyNZ

I am having the same problem,along with others.  Perhaps there is a fix in the works.

Posted by
buckobeck
Oct 25, 2007 9:51pm PDT
buckobeck

Hello TiffanyNZ;#

Per my other note; text handling in BookSmart is problematic…

Try DELETEing the page that’s giving you trouble from your book, close the Book, close BookSmart, re-open and then ADD a new page.. You can insert pages wherever you want, and move them as well if it doesn’t go exactly where you want it…

I would NOT try to "copy & paste" the troublesome text before deleting the relevant page, because it may well have some glitch already embedded in it; so I’d start that page again if I was you…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Oct 26, 2007 5:38am PDT
lkb-28

Thanks, will try that.  Am a bit sad about that since there is so much text on the page and to retype it will be a pain but hey, if it fixes the problem…

Posted by
TiffanyNZ
Oct 26, 2007 11:16pm PDT
TiffanyNZ

I did all my typing and text formatting in Microsoft Word. Then I cut and paste in into the proper columns in Booksmart. It’s so much easier and faster that way and you don’t lose any text when it crashes. It also retains all the formatting too, including font, size and color. :) You might want to check out my book preview, it’s very text-heavy and I had a lot of problems with text moving around in columns and text shifting to the next page, but I got the hang of it. I also did the same thing as Lee—deleting and adding fresh pages worked for me! :)

Posted by
adrilon
Oct 27, 2007 2:56am PDT
adrilon

Hey TiffanyNZ,

If you have not already re-typed in your text, you could save it by pasting it into NotePad and then copying it back into BookSmart.

It is quite possible that the text has become corrupted as Lee stated above. Text is typically stored in what is called Rich Text Format (RTF), which contains the text, as well as all the formatting, fonts, sized, bold etc. This can make the text complex and more likely to become corrupted. However you can strip off all the rich information, just leaving the raw text by copying and pasting into a very simple editor like NotePad which comes with Windows. Then delete the page in BookSmart and creat a new page. Then copy the text back in from NotePad.

You will loose any formatting, font, bold etc, but you could easly add that back in, saving you the trouble of re-typing. It should also work the same way if you cut the text then past it back in using the ‘Past Plain Text’ command in BookSmart. But using NotePad between the two operation is sure to strip off any corrupted data.

But the best solution is to use Microsoft Word or some other editor as your master copy as described by Adrilon. That’s the way I do it. If you are using Windows and don’t have Microsoft Word there is a simple editor called WordPad that you could use that supports formatting.

Martin

Posted by
MartinRobert
Oct 27, 2007 4:19am PDT
MartinRobert

Thanks so much.  Great suggestions.  I really appreciate your help!

Posted by
TiffanyNZ
Oct 28, 2007 1:36pm PDT
TiffanyNZ

Hello Martin;

EXCELLENT tip about moving text into WordPad – well done… I hadn’t thought of that…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Oct 29, 2007 2:38am PDT
lkb-28