PDF to Book

Please comment my workflow (InDesign -> PDF -> Blurb)

Hey gals & guys,

Creating my first book. Needs to be of good quality, so it’ll be a "large landscape" format of 33×28cm, "Lustre finish" paper, 120 pages. Here’s what I did so far;

A) Edited my RAWs in LightRoom. Did my cature sharpening there, as I am used to doing. 

B) Created my book in IndeSign using the Blurb plugin

C) Resized all my images to the correct sizes for the book. I used this tool: https://sites.google.com/a/lapay.biz/www/scr1-showimageproperties2 based on advice given in this thread on Blurb: http://forums.blurb.com/forums/10/topics/6828#posts-29130

Question nr 1: the smaller pics in the book now defiitely have less detail (ic not visible when the book is at "real-size", but when zooming in on them in Indesign I can see the pixelation much faster). I assume this is normal?

D) Output sharpening done on all images with Photokit Output Sharpener 2. I used "Halftone Output Sharpener" effect "175lpi Coated 350 ppi" as per Blurb-specific advice given on some photo forum for which I lost the web link. I must admit I have sharpened selectively; small pics got the"treatment" all over, but big page-wide landscape shots only got it where there’s detail (so not in the blue sky, for example). There’s no portraits in the book. Landscapes and animals only.

Question nr. 2: the sharpened pics now look over-sharp on screen. I assume this is normal as well? As in: needed for the printer?

E) Added text lines where needed

Question nr. 3: do I need to take some special care for these as well?

…that’s it so far. Final questions: can you tell me I am on the right track? Have I made mistakes so far? How about the next steps? Got some tips for me? Like the cover; does that need sharpening as well?

Thanks a lot in advance!

J.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
pixelpower
Nov 1, 2011 7:01am PDT
pixelpower

RE, question 1: Images do not display at full resolution in InDesign, so zooming in will naturally show some pixelization. Convert the ID file to a PDF and zoom in on the image there; if it’s pixelated there, you have a problem.

Posted by
obertb
Nov 8, 2011 8:14pm PDT
obertb

Thanks!!

No one else? I took quite a bit of time distilling this workflow from various threads here and on other forums. It was kinda my hope too that this thread could be used as a reference for other noobs, so they don’t have to go through the same truth-seeking-mission as me…

Posted by
pixelpower
Nov 12, 2011 2:10am PDT
pixelpower