PDF to Book

Adding pages in InDesign document using Blurb template -- how to make the template apply to them?

Using the Blurb InDesign template, initially a document (book) is created with the number of pages requested, and all pages have the template applied.

During the book layout process if additional pages are added within the document they do not have the Blurb template applied.  They still have the correct size, and the bleed lines etc. are there, but the gray backround within the safe art boudary is changed to white, making them inconsistent with other pages (also Blurb’s page instructions are missing, though this is of no importance).  I realize this is only a minor layout issue, and will not affect the book when printed, but is there a way to insert pages in InDesign so that they are templated like the originally created pages?

Thanks for any helpful information.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
cognitive93
Feb 17, 2012 11:07pm PDT
cognitive93

This is a dumb answer (that’s actually a question), but can you start with far more pages than you need, and then just delete pages when you’re done?

Posted by
reycan
Feb 21, 2012 9:13am PDT
reycan

Yes, I just now tried this, and it works.  Specifically, I composed a page spread to be inserted on an unused (but templated) page spread at the end of the document, then moved this page spread up to the place where I wanted it inserted.  It’s a little awkward and less intuitive than inserting pages where they are wanted and then composing them, but it does work.  If planning to do this, as you say, one should start with a bunch of extra pages to start with, because pages added later to the end of the document are also untemplated.

I was hoping there was just some simple command or setting that would apply the applicable blurb template to a newly inserted page or spread, but what you suggest is a useful workaround.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by
cognitive93
Feb 21, 2012 11:08am PDT
cognitive93

I just ran InDesign to check what you meant because I’d never noticed it before. I’m not sure why you need the grey background and guide text. As you said, all the bleed lines and safe margins are there.

Posted by
Maharg
Feb 21, 2012 2:00pm PDT
Maharg

You are correct that I don’t need it.  It is just a minor distraction when looking over pages to check for consistency — the background color on inserted pages is inconsistent, even though it doesn’t make any difference to the finished product.  It is not a big deal — I just wondered if there was an easy way to apply the template to all pages to remove that element of inconsistency.

Posted by
cognitive93
Feb 24, 2012 8:31pm PDT
cognitive93