PDF to Book

Aperture & Blurb PDF creation

Hi guys – I wrote a tutorial on how to use Aperture’s book layout tool to create PDFs for Blurb. I’ve just closed my old blog, but the tutorial is now at

http://matthewplummer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/blurb-and-apertures-custom-book-layout.html

Hope that helps!

Matthew

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
mwyplummer
Mar 29, 2012 1:50pm PDT
mwyplummer

Matthew,

Finally found your new blog to read up on the PDF convert ion in Aperture. However, Apple has removed this function from lion. Im not able to convert PDFs to PDF X anymore. Any thoughts or ideas?

Christian

Posted by
kam1sama
Apr 12, 2012 8:25pm PDT
kam1sama

Matthew,

I’m sorry I figured it out. I have to use export in preview and not save or print function. Guess that they updated it in Lion.

for anyone else out there, you can go to File >> export >> PDF >> quartz filer >> create generic PDFX when you want to convert PDF file to PDFX,

Christian

Posted by
kam1sama
Apr 12, 2012 8:30pm PDT
kam1sama

Thanks for that. I needed to make my old blog private as I’ve got a job coming up that means I need to have relatively little about my life online – so hopefully everyone else will be able to figure out how to find it! Likewise my ‘work’ blog doesn’t have comments, but it seemed like together we’d managed to cover all the Aperture to Blurb PDF issues pretty exhaustively – I never realised when I wrote it how much that tutorial would be referenced!

Regarding Lion, I still find some of the new changes counterintuitive (my favorite way of politely saying stupid…) But yes, you’ve hit the nail on the head there. When I get a moment in the next few weeks I’ll go back and update it as I think that’d be useful…

Posted by
mwyplummer
Apr 20, 2012 4:12pm PDT
mwyplummer

FYI, for anyone attempting to use the current Aperture pdf export as suggested…it does not work. The files come out in the correct format, and make it through the quality checks at Blurb, but you receive an error message stating that the file is not pdfx compliant, though it is. Blurb opened a case for me more than 3 weeks ago…they have no clue how to fix their problem. Beware.

Posted by
moblmvrk
Mar 21, 2014 9:46am PDT
moblmvrk