PDF to Book

Can anyone explain this?

On the left the PDF file, on the right the printed book. What has happened to the "half" fraction?

If anyone from the Blurb community or any of the gurus at Blurb can cast any light I’d be most grateful.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Maharg
Jul 11, 2012 8:58pm PDT
Maharg

The good people at Blurb looked into this, and it would appear that the problem was at their end, as they have told me that they have fixed it and offered me a reprint. I’d told them that I didn’t expect a reprint for such a small fault, but they must be even more of a perfectionist than I. Thank you, Blurb.

Posted by
Maharg
Jul 13, 2012 4:49pm PDT
Maharg

For those of you who have been on the edge of their seat awaiting the final chapter in this saga (!) …

The replacement book arrived, but the funny fraction wasn’t fixed. I contacted Blurb again and was told that they’d get back to me. A week later I hadn’t heard, so I gave them a nudge, and was told that there may have been a fault in the font I was using. It was suggested I outline the font, and they’d reprint it again for me.

This was successful, and the third book was fine. (It came from the US, whereas the other two came from the Australian plant, but I doubt whether this is relevant.)

Memo to self: in future avoid using Californian FB font, or if you do, outline any text that contains fractions.

I’m impressed that Blurb stuck with me on this and reprinted twice, when I had stated that I thought the defect was trivial and I was prepared to live with it.

Posted by
Maharg
Aug 27, 2012 3:39pm PDT
Maharg