PDF to Book

InDesign Internal error while creating ebook

I just got a message from InDesign while uploading an ebook (Small Square format)  that I created before. The complete message was; "An internal error has prevented Blirb Book Creator from creating an ebook from your document.

Has anyone had this also and is there a solution? Did I do something wrong?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
B-U-T
Sep 6, 2012 3:51pm PDT
B-U-T

Yes I just got this myself today! for the first time after making over 10 books with the same setup? I see no one has answered your question, but it is really starting to get on my nerves as it is a constant struggle with the BLURB site and the help you get. For three days it would not upload and then all of a sudden it did? I found out they had changed the way it was done and needed a new plug-in update, no one told me! Anyway, I sorted it myself and now after getting that book up and one other, I get this wonderful message!!! Any help would be appreciated. I have tried re-booting, making sure it was the only application running on my Mac. I can create and analyse my PDF in the pre-flight and it has no errors but when I use the book Creator plug-in it tells me I had an internal error!!! Whats the deal BLURB? I am getting tired of the constant problems, I need to be able to deliver not spend my time sorting issues?  Thanks!

Posted by
RikHamilton
Sep 16, 2012 5:21am PDT
RikHamilton

Ok, I think I may have a solution for you! I was having the exact same problem as you know, so what I did (and this solved it) I created a blank new document with the same pages and layout as the one I was having an issue with, then I transfered the content page by page to the new document BUT this is what I did differently.

In my old document I had 5 layers and 4 master pages that I used, so this time I just used two layers, TEXT and Images getting rid of the other ones. Also I only used the default MASTER.  I then made sure to carefully copy each page and used "PASTE IN PLACE" so as to get the original formatting I had.

After this I saved it with a new name and it went perfectly!  I know this does not explain why the issue happened I am still trying to work that out, I will find it eventually! I think it has something to do with the way the Book Creator deals with the MASTER pages? Just like it ignores the OBJECT properties like drop shadows, you must make that as an image or it does not appear.  They told me the creator does not import this? So I think when I used the different Masters it could not deal with it? It is a starting point to sort it anyway.

However you should now be able to make your file and upload it if you do what I did, because if it worked for me it should work for you? 

Posted by
RikHamilton
Sep 16, 2012 9:52am PDT
RikHamilton

I also got this error on the first book that i tried to upload from Book Creator as eBook. "An internal error has prevented Blirb Book Creator from creating an ebook from your document."

Didn’t have any problems with the PDF to book upload.  Granted the book has drop shadows, graphic lines, multiple masters, etc.  I think the indesign to ebook workflow is still a bit buggy.

Posted by
kpeng
Oct 17, 2012 8:49pm PDT
kpeng

I have the same issue even with standard blurp templates!!!

Posted by
zawonk
Oct 29, 2012 9:24am PDT
zawonk

I was having the same problem. It seems that you must have the instructions layer, in the layers pallet, turned on or visible for the preflight process to even begin.

Posted by
BrentPiper
Jan 30, 2013 12:34pm PDT
BrentPiper

Nope, that solution didn’t really work. I thought I was but it didn’t, sorry.

Posted by
BrentPiper
Jan 30, 2013 1:14pm PDT
BrentPiper

I had this too – it turned out it was my firewall. I installed Lil Snitch and it was preventing the plugin from contacting the server.

Posted by
fluffyasacat
Oct 28, 2013 5:31am PDT
fluffyasacat

having the same problem/error message…can we get a solution or at least an answer from Blurb?
Thanks

Posted by
rcreemers
Dec 10, 2013 7:23am PDT
rcreemers

What a piece of junk. I spent SOOO LONG trying to figure this bug out. NOTHING. Time is money. I should have had this uploaded and out of my hair hours ago. Very unhappy with this indeisng plugin.

Posted by
vb1972
Jan 5, 2014 9:14pm PDT
vb1972