PDF to Book

ms word to pdf to book

i cannot get a clear response to my question of how to publish my book of mixed text and photos. it is written and formatted in ms word. i can use the acrobat distiller to put that into pdf files. Can i then upload those pdf pages (over 100 of them) into book smart to make a book?

this seems like a straightoforward question to me but maybe i am missing something.

the previous responder brian referred me to the pdf to book explanation and it was not helpfulbut i appreciate his help. 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
mllgroom
Jun 26, 2009 7:32am PDT
mllgroom

hi milgroom –
Congratulations on completing the writing and editing of your book!

Sounds like you have spent a good amount of time formating your book in Word. You have a few options with Blurb. You can attempt to reformat your book directly in BookSmart. BookSmart does have a plethora of layouts that mix text and imagery. You would need to copy and paste your text from Word into BookSmart which may lose some formatting. You can then import and drag and drop photos into the layouts from your desktop. Given how far you are along with Word this may take some effort, but it is also really simple to design your cover in BookSmart and it will also warn you of low-res images, create pagination, etc…

Your preferred method may be then to use PDF to Book. Admittedly this is not yet as easy as it will be in the future. This will require a few different steps:
1. Resize your page in Word to one of our six trim sizes.
2. Create a PDF/X-3 using Acrobat Distiller
3. Design your cover to the specifications we provide

—————-
1. Resize your page in Word to one of our six trim sizes.
Choose your size and use the specification calculator here:
http://www.blurb.com/make/pdf_to_book/booksize_calculator
to get exact specifications for your pages and cover. Please note that the BW Text only book is, well, black and white only for pages. That said images are printed in black and white as well if your book is  90% text for instance. You can use any of our full-color sizes as well.

Let’s take an 8×10 Portrait size as an example:
• Your final PDF size should be 7.875×10.0 inches. You’ll want to change your Page or Document Size to this.
• Next, I would add the Bleed (.125 in) and the safe area (.25) together, which equals (0.625 in). So, set your margins to this size (0.625 in) on all sides. [[ You don’t really need to add the bleed into the inside edges as this is where the gutter lies, but you will lose some page area into the gutter so for the sake of our example don’t worry about it just have the same margin on all four sides. ]]
• Depending on how close your original page size is to this new size you may need to review or cange your page breaks somewhat to refine your book design.
• Save your file as Word’s .doc format.

——————-
2. Create a PDF/X-3 using Acrobat Distiller
Adobe Acrobat Distiller can create a PDF from most document formats. It can be downloaded for free from many sites. Just do a search for "Acrobat Distiller" although you may already have it installed with Adobe Acrobat.
• Open up Distiller and select "PDF/X-3:2002" from the Default Settings pull-down menu
• This will create a PDF of your pages ready to upload. Now we need to create your cover.  

<Continued in next post…>

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Jun 26, 2009 9:29am PDT
CapnScrappy

————————
3. Design your cover to the specifications we provide
This is the step that isn’t as straight foward for Word users as we plan to make it some day. It will be very difficult (if not impossible) to design your cover in MS Word. Truthfully though I have not tried it so I look to the Blurb community here to come up with better solutions and tips. You’ll most likely need to design your cover in a page layout program such as Adobe InDesign (a free trial is avalable), Microoft Publisher, or even Adobe Photoshop. You could also consider hiring a BlurbNation expert to design a cover for your book: http://www.blurb.com/blurbnation/directory
• To design your own cover, you can either download the provided InDesign templates or look back to the book specification calculator now that you know the exact number of pages in your book.
• Create your cover to the provided specifcations. The critical variables are the overall Page size or final outpust size of your PDF (width x hieght), the spine width (based on # of pages and type of page), and that you are sure to keep critical content within the safe content area. Just remember that your cover will be trimmed or wrapped at the trim size (w x h) listed in the templates or book size calculator. Look for more detailed tutorials on this in the near future
• Output your cover from your software tool as a PDF/X-3 or use Distiller as described above. all other flavors of PDF are not accepted.

——————-
4. Upload your cover and pages PDFs to Blurb and order your book
Start the upload process here:
http://www.blurb.com/make/pdf_to_book/upload_pdf

Hope this helps. You’ll see us continually to improve and simlify the PDF to Book (as well as BookSmart) workflow. Check back from additional tutorials and tips in the future.
Cheers,
Chad

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Jun 26, 2009 9:29am PDT
CapnScrappy

I am in a similar boat (book built using Word).  I have tried to upload a pdf cover and pages and I have formatted everything correctly according to the preflight.  I am using Mac OS X and it seems that the PDF X converter in Preview is not compatible with Blurb.  This is when the preflight finds the error.  I have tried searching online for Distiller, but it seems to only be available as part of the $500 full version of Acrobat.  Any ideas?

Posted by
Sep 26, 2010 9:49am PDT

Hello 47806,

Unfortunately, the Apple Quartz Engine has not proven reliable in creating compliant PDF/X-3 files. For MS Word we have seen the best success by using a Postscript to Adobe Distiller workflow.

I just looked at the Adobe website, and they offer a 30 day free trial of Adobe Acrobat Pro which includes the Adobe Distiller application. If using this workflow, be sure to download and install the Blurb PDF/X-3 Export Preset.

Thanks!
Joe

Posted by
JoeCro
Sep 28, 2010 8:57am PDT
JoeCro Icon_staff

Thanks for the reply Joe,

Unfortunately, the free trial is not available for Mac, only Windows.

Posted by
Oct 2, 2010 5:15am PDT

Hello,

I’ve just downloaded the Blurb PDF/X-3 Export Preset and used it in Distiller to make a PDF from my Postscript file. (Mac OS X 6.6). It simply does not work, saying it was a colour profile error.
BUT: When I make a pdf using the Default PDF/X-3 which comes with Distiller, it works just fine!!!
Seems that there may be a problem with the Blurb PDF/X-3 Export Preset?
Thanks and best regards,

Gudrun

Posted by
gudrunbooks
Feb 7, 2011 9:32am PDT
gudrunbooks

Hi guys,

I’m trying to get your templates but the page in the ENG and ITA sections of the website are unavailable:

http://it.blurb.com/make/pdf_to_book/template_indesign

Could you please fix it? Thanks!

Matteo

Posted by
Hue_GS
Dec 10, 2013 9:31am PDT
Hue_GS

Hi

I’m working on using this protocol to convert an MS Word doc to the Blurb-preferred pdf. I noticed that the size defined here for an 8 × 10 portfolio is 7.875 × 10.0 inches but when I run the calculator for that format it generates a final pdf size for that format of 8.125 × 10.25 – since it is important to generate the final PDF/X-3:2002 file at the optimal dimensions I am using the size generated by the calculator for my book (trade book) and want to query this forum thread to learn ahead of time if this is a mistake. Thanks!

Posted by
scalpshifter
Jan 8, 2014 9:55am PDT
scalpshifter