PDF to Book

Different color

Hi

I was uploading my book (pdf to book). After upload was completed, it shows small picture of cover. But the cover color was very different, what I was using at InDesign. What should be the problem?

Best regards,

Andres

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
andresppp
Jul 1, 2009 12:36pm PDT
andresppp

Hi Andres,

Yes, this is a small problem that we have with the cover thumbnail generation. We are going to fix it this week. This will not affect your actual printing though. The slight color change on the cover is only happening for the display of the cover on your book detail page and won’t happen in the actual printing.

-Doug

Posted by
dsellers
Jul 1, 2009 12:45pm PDT
dsellers

The book preview is also problematic. The colours are all wrong and the density is off. I assume this is related. Will it be fixed too? And will new previews be generated? Thanks!

Posted by
MaeganHC
Jul 1, 2009 4:37pm PDT
MaeganHC

I’m having the same issue — the preview of my book looks terrible, so I am hopeful that the actual printing will look much better than what I see on the preview screen…

Posted by
jsiglin
Jul 13, 2009 1:10pm PDT
jsiglin

Staff states above that problem will be fixed first week of July.  It is October and the problem still exists.

Posted by
The111
Oct 14, 2009 12:34pm PDT
The111

Me too: weird colors at some pages, one page lost all the content… I cannot show this to my cutomers!

Posted by
bikelike
Oct 22, 2009 8:18am PDT
bikelike

I was looking to see if anyone else was having this problem as well. My PDF looks great but the preview looks horrible. Completely different colors. Has anyone had this and had a successful print?

Posted by
doigman
Oct 25, 2009 7:27pm PDT
doigman

This still appears to be a problem – although perhaps its nature has changed.

I uploaded a book from Booksmart in about May and the cover was shown pretty much the same as I see the original image file on my screen in RGB colour space.

In September I uploaded a PDF version of the same book. The resulting cover thumbnail and preview was undersaturated (although actually close to what you get when it is printed with CMYK).

Today I uploaded another book (part of the same Series so with the same front cover photo and uses the same inDesign file) and the colours are garish! They are over-saturated and far too contrasty and I also notice the thumbail is more muddy (so, apparently it’s either been blurred slightly or saved in a more compressed form).

I now have three identical front covers in my uploaded books area, none of which look the same. I have very real concerns over the latest incarnation of thumbnail and preview of the cover – the colours are way over the top and the heavy saturation makes the cover look very ugly.

Posted by
cbnewham
Nov 1, 2009 10:04am PDT
cbnewham

Hi. I have the solution and not thanks to Blurb support who just answered that ‘the file will print ok’….

The fact that I will not be able to sell a single copy with a preview where all pictures are dark and muddy didn’t really seem to worry anybody else except me :)

Anyway, I’m using InDesign CS4. I’m no expert – its my first time, but I finally found the problem.

I use the following settings and they produce consistently a good result:

Go to Edit>Color settings and set Working Space:
RGB= sRGB
CMYK = HP Indigo Press 5000 – download from Blurb.

Color Management Policies: both RGB and CMYK to Convert to Working Space.

Conversion Options: Engine = Adobe (ACE), Intent = Absolute Colorimetric and check the box Use Black Point Compensation.

Then go to – and this is IMPORTANT – Edit > Transparency Blend Space and change it from CMYK to RGB.

Use only RGB images in your document and export it to PDF using the Blurb PDF X-3 profile.

Posted by
dannypo
Nov 8, 2009 2:58pm PDT
dannypo

Dannypo-

I see that this was posted a long time ago, but I’m having this issue as well! I don’t know if this was the case then, but now they give you a Blurb CMYK printer profile to convert your images to. Are you saying that you had the color problems even when using it, and had to convert back to RGB?? That is very distressing indeed…

-Lauren

Posted by
Hindinwood
Mar 3, 2011 2:13pm PDT
Hindinwood