PDF to Book

Locked Blurb's PDF

This I thought was great news, but I downloaded the template for the 7×7, laid out my book, made sure the bleeds were all indicated and sent it off to Blurb.  They denied it with the message the template is sized wrong!  They sized it!! Then the technician told me I used the cover template for the book.. I double checked and no, it wasn’t.. there was a gutter and no spine dimension. I cannot find a problem. 

They are not answering my questions, or dealing with me in any way.  I’ve been waiting since July 29th. So i’m going elsewhere, somewhere that the customer matters and is answered in a reasonable amount of time.  Good bye Blurb!

Posted by
terri
Jul 6, 2009 4:52pm PDT
terri

Bye bye.

Posted by
deanej
Jul 6, 2009 4:58pm PDT
deanej

You’re employed by Blurb? 

Posted by
terri
Jul 6, 2009 5:51pm PDT
terri

deanej is not emplyed by Blurb he is a user like you and I. Well, not like you anymore.

.....Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 6, 2009 11:41pm PDT
tfrankland

Immediately after my post I received an e-mail (after how many days…?) from a senior tech who is working with me to get this figured out. So far though everything has been a blind alley.  They said I reversed the cover and pages when uploading, I didn’t.  They said I have an odd number of pages, I don’t. They said I have the wrong size template… I used their template and did not change it. The cover template has now been accepted but the pages have not.

This PDF upload is new and they haven’t worked out the bugs… finally they are looking at what could be errent in the system or instructions instead of just sending nonsensical corrective suggestions.  My guess now is that they want the PDF uploaded in pages rather than spreads, but I can’t upload until I’m given the ok, because if that is not it, I get shifted to the rear of the line for having sent an upload without fixing the first.Hence my immense frustration.

Posted by
terri
Jul 7, 2009 7:05am PDT
terri

Hi,

We just uncovered an issue with softcover books going through our PDF to Book process. If this sounds like it may affect you, please know that we are quickly working on solving the problem. I can’t see it lasting more than a day or two.

Because PDF is all new to us, we are experiencing problems we have never encountered with BookSmart, for obvious reasons. We ask for your patience while we work this and the other not-so-smooth bugs out of the system. 

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jul 7, 2009 10:50am PDT
kathybad

Kathy,

Thanks for your response.  I have a successful upload after help from Craig.  Many thanks to him as well.

Posted by
terri
Jul 7, 2009 2:46pm PDT
terri

I have a cover PDF using the Soft Cover template. I follow the Upload process instructions. I wait. I sit there staring at the screen. No message. No progress bar. Nothing. If I try to upload again (in case I failed to do something) I get a message telling me I am trying to add to the queue. How long do I wait. I deliberately left it for an hour and still nothing. Any ideas to help me please?

Bob

Posted by
Bookmeister9
Jul 8, 2009 12:50am PDT
Bookmeister9

Hi Bob,

As I mentioned above, we are experiencing some problems with softcover uploads. As of right now, I don’t have suggestions for you other that to wait for it be fixed (in the next day or two) or choose another cover option.

Hope that helps.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jul 8, 2009 1:17pm PDT
kathybad

I have been trying to get my pdf uploaded and working since last Thursday. All I get is to keep re-exporting and re-uploading. I HAVE UPLOADED IT 8 TIMES and still have the same problem. I’m really frustrated and need some help, I left plenty of time to get my book done and printed and now that time is gone. I now have no project finished and this is what I get paid for. I am really irritated with the slow response and the continued SAME response.

Posted by
katiejv
Jul 8, 2009 4:47pm PDT
katiejv

Sorry, I forgot to add to the bottom of my reply…HELP! I need to get this thing working now! Any advice?

Posted by
katiejv
Jul 8, 2009 4:54pm PDT
katiejv

Hi katiejv,

I checked into your order and am happy to see that we were able to get your order going. Thanks for your patience as we try to workaround some of these PDF to Book issues. We’re making changes daily to make this process smarter. 

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jul 9, 2009 4:16pm PDT
kathybad

Hi,

Softcover upload problems have been fixed. If you had problems with softcover uploads earlier this week, you should now be good to go.

Thanks for your patience.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jul 10, 2009 5:21pm PDT
kathybad

I am very curious to know what people’s experieces have been since it was announced that softcover upload issues have been resolved.

Posted by
designwallah
Jul 10, 2009 8:44pm PDT
designwallah

Just thought I would share my experience. I have recently uploaded a 120 page book with over 37 pages of full cover, complex layout etc as a PDF and after a few mishaps (mostly my fault) have now received my finished books (I had them printed as both hardback and soft cover) and the quality is superb with the colour the most accurate I have seen. Previously I was using a professional printers in Italy who were good but did not offer the flexibility of printing of Blur, The only problem I now have is a book preview problem in the online bookstore but Blurb have replied to my email within 10 mins which I admit I did not expect so full marks to them. To conclude I thik it is worth persevering since the results ARE worth it! Geoffrey

Posted by
geoffkhere
Jul 11, 2009 4:24pm PDT
geoffkhere

I was also having trouble uploading my 7×7 softcover book; after about a week and half, they informed me the problem was resolved. I successfully uploaded it this morning, so we’ll see how it looks when I receive it. I am a little anxious about the color, since my document was created in a CMYK color space, then exported to pdf using the Blurb pdf x-3 settings, but the document preview of my book looks terrible — like the CMYK is being converted to RGB (which it probably is, since I’m viewing it through the web) — I just hope my color turns out okay.

Posted by
jsiglin
Jul 13, 2009 1:09pm PDT
jsiglin

I’m having the same problem too mate.

Posted by
arnietaylor
Jul 14, 2009 10:15am PDT
arnietaylor

I have a problem with HARD COVER / wrap image book, I’ve been uploding the PDF several times and the same error appeared each time: "wrong size of pages", I double checked everything, I haven’t reversed the cover size with regular page size. I used the Blurb templates for Indesign.  Any advice please? I lost 2 days for that and no result.

Posted by
rafalmilach
Jul 14, 2009 12:02pm PDT
rafalmilach

My problems with page sizes (my book is 8×10 hard cover wrap) turned out to be my fault for not checking the spine size and making sure that it matched the number of pages. My page sizes were fine but the spine was too big, so it is worth double checking that this is correct.

Posted by
geoffkhere
Jul 15, 2009 2:35am PDT
geoffkhere

Well, my coverseems to be ok and was finally accepted ( however few times was rejected even though i didn’t chcnge anything) and the regular pages are of some strange size, I used the template sizes and the message keeps showing such message:

For a Large Landscape 13×11 inches (33×28 cm) book we are expecting a PDF that is: 909×783 points, or 12.625×10.875 inches, or 32.067×27.622 centimeters

The PDF that you uploaded is: 908×782 points, or 12.611×10.861 inches, or 32.032×27.587 centimeters

any idea how to solve the problem?

thanks

Posted by
rafalmilach
Jul 15, 2009 4:47am PDT
rafalmilach

i took part in the beta trial and got one through succesfully (small square size hardcover) and one (regular harcover) like some of those above producing errors due to the pages being the wrong size despite using their templates in exactly the same way as the one that was succefull. unlike the OP i didn’t pursue it further than two attempts at upload because i just didn’t have the time to start pulling the files apart and as a relative novice to indesign had hoped that following the instructions would be enough. having read the comments here i now wonder if i had even done anything wrong at all..

if there is anyone reading from blurb will there be any way once the kinks are out to put this beta copy through or should i just call it a lesson learned? and hence the point of the beta test…

Posted by
thesmu
Jul 15, 2009 7:33am PDT
thesmu

Have just read this thread and am a little concerned. I saw your products being displayed at a recent trade show in london and the quality is impressive. Have tried to use the PDF to print upload twice and got nowhere. I, like many others need a reliable service which you appear to offer. Can you supply a definitive timeline as to when all these "teething" troubles might get ironed out.

Thanks

PM 

Posted by
MBCphotos
Jul 16, 2009 2:18am PDT
MBCphotos

Hi,

Yes, you should be able to upload your beta test book if you’ve followed all of the instructions properly. As for our "teething troubles" all I can tell you is that we’re fixing and improving things on a weekly basis. The good thing about a web-based tool like PDF to Book is how quickly we can make changes. That said, this workflow is still a work in progress and we expect things to settle down soon.

Thanks for your patience.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jul 16, 2009 10:04am PDT
kathybad

Kathy – and the rest of the blurb fraternity.

After contacting the tecs at blurb, I tried one of their suggestions. TRY ANOTHER BROWSER! ( I was using IE7).

I used “Safari” as I already have it installed for the iplayer stuff, and guess what? It worked like a dream, just as you said it would! The only thing I had to do was make sure my flashplayer was up to date.

This is hopefully a simple solution to a frustrating problem and just goes to Mr Gates and co aren’t as great as they think!

Thanks once again, and I hope the book is as good as it appears on the preview.

Regards

PM

Posted by
MBCphotos
Jul 16, 2009 2:44pm PDT
MBCphotos

Hi all, (sorry, haven’t looked in to the forum for weeks!)

Just to let you know that I took Blurb’s technical expert’s advice (thanks Craig) and abandoned IE7 and installed Firefox. No probs at all with uploading. Nor since. Very pleased with every book I receive. Brilliant!

Thanks Blurb!

Bob

Posted by
Bookmeister9
Aug 19, 2009 8:47am PDT
Bookmeister9

I too am getting no response from Blurb regarding the error messages I keep receiving about my 7×7 soft cover. I am very disappointed as this would be my first time with Blurb. I found out about them at my son’s private school in Chicago where the book was on display. I have two other projects that I was planning on using, after testing with my own book, which does not appear to be working.

Posted by
birkdesign
Nov 23, 2009 4:21pm PDT
birkdesign

IN CASE YOU USED THEIR TEMPLATE BUT THE UPLOADER SAYS IT’S NOT THE RIGHT SIZE:

You must be absolutely sure to load the Blurb Job Description to your InDesign Adobe PDF Presets. I didn’t at first, and the uploader was telling me the PDF was supposed to be a dozen or so postscript points larger than the template was. I lost my mind and was involuntarily committed. Later, after recovering and spending some time in therapy, I selected the proper Blurb presets in the PDF export and saw that the sizes matched up fine.

I’m feeling much better now.

Posted by
jwcrespo3
Jun 30, 2011 9:43pm PDT
jwcrespo3