Problem with uploading, no problem with printing
Given the overwhelmingly negative experience of many posters I thought I’d post my mixed experiences:
Uploadin – I don’t know if its me or if its the workflow but I just can’t get it to work. I’ve a landscape book of about 220 pages from InDesign CS3. I’ve tried the following:
1) from my laptop on wireless home network & broadband connection. Firefox & windows vista. Kaspersky firewall but disabled on advice of support (to see if that helped – worth a try but it didn’t help). Cover uploads fine. Gets half way through pages and gives an error helpfully described as "unknown error".
2) from a PC at home hardwired to router & broadband connection. Explorer & XP. Kaspersky firewall also disabled. Despite having the latest adobe flash installed I don’t get a progress bar when uploading the cover. Never got past cover.
3) from the same PC running firefox. As with the laptop cover uploads fine. Gets half way through pages and gives an error helpfully described as "unknown error".
4) from my work PC. XP & explorer. Firewall that I don’t know too much about but not in my power to turn off. Industrial sized connection & professionally maintained PC so hopefully no bugs. Cover uploads fine. Explorer hangs and crashes after 10 minutes of pages upload.
Each of 1-4 have been tried repeatedly with different pdf files without difference.
Eventually support (during the beta) provided a different workflow and that worked fine - albeit took literally overnight to load.
Problem since has been that support don’t seem configured to use the alternative workflow outside of the beta although I have to admit that might be my fault by using inconsistent emails in my correspondence and confusing everyone! ;-)
Other problem is that I managed to upload the wrong size cover but that was definitely 100% my fault.
Beta book when produced could not be faulted. OK – there’s that "glued spine" that others have talked about but thats a general blurb issue not a pdf one. Pdf to blurb itself worked absolutely fine with the only errors being mine in CS3.
Verdict (on my limited experience alone):
Upload tool 1/10
CS3 to PDF to Print 10/10
I am having the same problem. Trying to upload PDFs from a MacBook Pro. Wireless.
Me again. Shortened the name of the files and eliminated spaces. All files uploaded successfully. Quark to PDF. Used SAFARI
I had this problem today. Just adding my observations to this.
My file names were 17 characters long, letters and numerals only.
Chrome (v12) and the default Java uploader (no visible link for Flash alternative):
Firefox (v3.6) and the Java uploader:
Firefox and the Flash uploader:
Internet Explorer 8 with the Java uploader: