PDF to Book

Creating PDF with Photoshop CS4 / Bridge

Hi,

Just created my first pdf to book and all seems to be well, having made up the template pages in Photoshop from the measurements supplied.

However Adobe have in their wisdom removed the ability for Photoshop CS4 to create multipage PDF files as was possible with CS2/CS3. The functionality is now included in the Output mode of Bridge, but it appears to give much less control over the specification of the PDF file generated. It defaults to PDF v1.7 and there is no option visible to create PDF/x3 spec files.

I got around it by loading up a copy of CS3 on a second machine and copying files across but this is a pain and also the compliant PDF/x3 file generated is much bigger (385 mb) than the PDF 1.7 file created by CS4 (95mb) and this takes a lot longer to upload.

Does anyone know either if Blurb can take a PDF 1.7 spec file or if there’s a way to force Bridge CS4 to create a PDF/x3 version?

Thanks,

Adam

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
ajefferson
Jul 24, 2009 1:34am PDT
ajefferson

I believe it is possible to import some of files inside somewhere in Photoshop files (CS3) into Photoshop CS4 files. Unfortunately, I am not able to confirm this since I have removed all of Adobe Design Premium CS3 after I upgraded to Design Premium CS4… and destroyed CS3 DVD discs.

I think I have seen some information at Adobe help online at main Adobe site a while ago. I don’t remember how I obtained the info for that matter that lead to that source. But if you need some of help on how to do so, let me or us know at the Blurb forum – right here. We’ll try to figure it out by locating that source of information on how to import some CS3 files related to PDF stuff into Photoshop CS4. Uhm, you might as well want to do a search at Adobe Photoshop CS4 and/or Adobe Bridge CS4. Although, I don’t use Bridge CS4 that much as I don’t like it and the way it does for me. It is probably just me and my preference isn’t in for Bridge CS4 at all.

At the meantime, I will take a look inside Photoshop CS4 and how it generate PDF file. Although, I use Adobe InDesign CS4 to export PDF/x-3.

Did you also import Blurb’s file of Blurb preset of handling PDF/x3 export for you? I need to take a hard look at it few times. I know it works nicely in InDesign CS4… not sure about Photoshop CS4.

At the same time, I think it would be very good for you to contact Blurb technical support for their assistance with your situation. Maybe it is something they might have overlook on that part…or are aware of it and might have assisted other Blurbarians like yourself. So, it would be good for you to contact Blurb tech support for some possible remedy. That said, I believe and trust that Blurb team would be very happy to assist and help you with this situation.

Hope that helps.
Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jul 24, 2009 8:37pm PDT
brianbonitz

Any update to this? I’m struggling with the same issue.

Posted by
J_W
Aug 4, 2009 2:27am PDT
J_W