PDF to Book

Locked colour management InDesign / soft proof

Hello,

I have some questions concerning color management. I want to print a book for my dissertation and need the best quality. :-)

All the photographs I want to use for the book are in "Adobe RGB (1998)". So I converted them with Photoshop to the CMYK "HP Indigo Press 5000 …" profile. Now, I want to place them in the InDesign template Blurb offers and have the following question:

The CMYK colour profile of this file (Pages_Lg-Square.indd) is "U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2". Does it make sense to use this profile? Or should I assign the "HP Indigo Press 5000 …" profile?

If I use the file like it is (with U.S. Web Coated …), the photographs look pale in comparison to the same image opened in Photoshop (although I proof the colours in InDesign with the "HP Indigo Press 5000 …" profile).

When I export the InDesign file to .pdf, using the Blurb .joboptions, should I use as "Output Intent Profile Name" (in the export options under "output") the "HP Indigo Press 5000 …" profile? Or another one?

While working with Photoshop, InDesign, and Acrobat, I proof the file with the "HP Indigo Press 5000" profile. Is this ok?

And a last question: to get sharp photographs, I resize and sharpen them in Photoshop, instead of resizing them in InDesign. Do I get the best results with resizing them for exactly 300 DPI?

Thank you so much for your help!

Best wishes,
Lorenz

Posted by
lorenzw
Jul 30, 2009 2:21am PDT
lorenzw

Hi Lorenz,

Looks like customer support reached out to you on the 29th about this already. If you have further questions, just reply back to the email we sent.

Hope the information helped.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Aug 4, 2009 11:36am PDT
kathybad

I have the same question, although all my images are in sRGB and I am designing a book for the B3 charter program using B3 profile to soft proof in Photoshop.

What should I choose for "Output Intent Profile Name" when I export to PDF using the Blurb PDF preset ? Should I leave it at "US web coated…" or choose the "Blurb B3 CMYK" ?

Can you please post the answer here?

Thanks in advance!!!

Best regards,

Flemming

Posted by
flemmingbo
Sep 1, 2009 2:57am PDT
flemmingbo

I received a reply from customer support, thanks!

Answer is to leave absolutely everything as is – do not change any settings.

Posted by
flemmingbo
Sep 1, 2009 12:28pm PDT
flemmingbo

I’m wondering why my images look great in Photoshop and InDesign, but when I export to PDF and view, the images go flat. Whats weired is the images show up nice for a brief second and then go flat.

I’ve been printing 4 color process for a long time and this is weired!

Thanks in advance for any help. John

Posted by
quadedesign
Sep 8, 2009 4:18pm PDT
quadedesign

By the way The problem happens when viewing in Acrobat

Posted by
quadedesign
Sep 8, 2009 4:19pm PDT
quadedesign

Hi,

This is not my area of expertise, but first check that you have used the Blurb Export Preset without any modifications and that Overprint Preview is turned on (Preferences>Page Display). You should also run any updates for Acrobat.

If the above doesn’t help, please contact us at customer support.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Sep 9, 2009 9:04am PDT
kathybad

Kathy-

Would it be possible to post the original customer service response you alluded to above.  The inconsistencies pointed out by Lorenz do not make sense to me either.  Thank you.

Posted by
Jeffro
Jan 22, 2010 9:56pm PDT
Jeffro

Hi Jeffro,

Best to contact support directly for info specific to your questions. Color management can be tricky, so for now, we’re opting to help on a one-on-one basis. In the near future, we plan to release more resources specific to color management, ICC profiles, monitor calibration, etc. as they pertain to BookSmart and our PDF to Book workflow.

In the meantime, contacting customer support is the way to go. 

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jan 25, 2010 1:55pm PDT
kathybad

I’m new to the forum and don’t know how to post a question to the general forum yet So forgive me for posting this question this way. If you can tell me how to post a question I would appreicate it. If you can answer this question I would deeply appreciate it. Photographer who has made two very nice books with Blurb using RGB1998 profile files. My 3 book from Blurb was terrible due to my lack of knowledge. Trying to obtain even better color. I explored my raw files from lightroom as Prorgb. I also strip out my images from their background not giving me the option of going back to the original file and rexporting them as SRG1998. After receiving this desaturated book back from Blurb. I then discovered my profiles were Prorgb. I first tried to convert th assign profile from Prorgb to Srgb1998 under edit in photoshop. Only to see this disaturated color like I receive with my 3 blurb book.. This is what my files look like when I was working on the book in Indesign. The first and third image. The second image on this web gallery is the color I received back from Blurb.http://www.leewhite.com/html/Prorgb/. My client love my layout and design and wants to order 10 more books. All clients are important, but these are extremely important. My question is I have gone under Photoshop and edit, converto to color changing my files to SRGB1998. Yet I have a lot of files in this book which is a family reunio I shot. I look at some files in the book and I think a few alread had the convert to color srgb1998 I’m not sure. What is troubling me is still in Photoshop the assign profile is Progrb and if I convert the file in photoshop edit assign profile the color ends up desaturate like the 2nd image in this web gallery. http://www.leewhite.com/html/Prorgb/ Can you assist me.

Posted by
salehe
Jan 28, 2010 6:18am PDT
salehe

To post a question go to the appropriate forum and click on the Add Topic button. See screenshot below. 

I’ll get back to you tomorrow (I’m off out for the evening) on your main question if nobody else has jumped in to help you.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 28, 2010 1:23pm PDT
tfrankland

I don’t know what you mean by strip out my images from their background  but Lightroom editing is non-destructive so you should be able to recover your original photos. You do that via the History tab in the left pane in the Develop module, you can find details of how to do that here.

Personally I would do that first if I could. If you convert a photo from one profile to another and then convert that photo back to the original profile that will not give you  a photo that is identical in colour to the one you started with. Each profile has its own coding and there is not a one-to-one match between the colours each one supports.

You say you used Photoshop, now the question is did you invoke Photohop from within Lightroom? If you did Lightroom normally creates a copy of the photo with the addition of EDIT to the name (e.g. IMGP0001-EDIT) it does not change the original photo so again you should be able to go back to that.

If in Lightroom you opened the photo in Photoshop as a Smart Object, that will end up in the History which as per the link above you should be able to revert to your orignal photo.

I also take RAW photos. My approach (and others will have a different workflow) is to set up a collection for the book (often with sub-collections for each chapter within the book), create virtual copies of the required photos and pop them in that collection. I then do all my processing on those virtual copies. That makes it easy to compare my before and after to make sure I haven’t lost anything in that process, also easy to delete the virtual copy and revert back to my original. It also allows me to create another virtual copy of the original for other purposes such as getting prints or putting on the web.  After cropping I then export the virtual copy, it is at this time that I define the exported JPEG (or PNG) shoud be to the appropriate sRGB standard. I do not change the profile within Lightroom or Photoshop should I have to use that to do more detailed editing.

I’m not sure that the above has answered your question though, if not come back and I, or someone else, can have another try.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 29, 2010 6:55am PDT
tfrankland

The colour management world is a minefield. However, if you have an image in ProPhoto RGB (which is a very wide space) you musn’t assign another profile to it otherwise you will get a badly desaturated image. What you are doing in effect is to tell the system that the image is something that it is not. If you want your ProPhoto image to be sRGB the convert it to sRGB with the appropriate rendering intent (usually, but not exclusively, Perceptual). This will keep your colours and saturationaccurate and all you might see is a slight change in highly saturated areas. Remember, convert not assign.

Robin

Posted by
robinsinton
Jan 29, 2010 9:37am PDT
robinsinton

Hi,

I’m just setting up my first book using the PDF to Book method and have some concerns over the Color Management (as do a lot of people, clearly). I normally use the Adobe RGB Color Space for my images, as I was under the impression from other sources that this was a better Color Space as it uses a much wider gammut. So I’m a little taken aback by the recommendation to use sRGB.

I have tried converting an image from Adobe RGB to sRGB as recommended here and there is no discernable difference on screen. However if I Softproof the image as instructed there is quite a considerable change. This is even noticable in the instructional videos on the Blurb site. The images tend to flatten considerably and lose their punch.

The resulting image is supposed to represent what you will get from the Indigo printing devices used. So therefore, should I assume that I should SoftProof the image on screen and then make adjustments to try and match the image to what I had before Softproofing it? 

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Kind regards

John

Posted by
johnevans
May 8, 2010 2:06am PDT
johnevans