PDF to Book

Preflight Error

After struggling to upload my PDF’s I finally did it on my brother’s computer. I was so happy I could finally upload the pages and cover..

But when it started preflighting I got dissapointed again. There was something wrong with my PDF. I looked trough my PDF and corrected some things I thought the problem could be. I uploaded it 2 times again and 2 times I get an preflight error.. The error doesn’t say what the problem is in my pdf.

Can anyone give me advice how I can see what the problems in my PDF file are? Steps I can easily do in Adobe?

Thanks!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Rovanice
Aug 3, 2009 11:17am PDT
Rovanice

Hey!

I had the same problem – since I could not find the flaw in my file and the error message is broad and general and does not hint at the problem, I took the opportunity to contact customer service. I got an incident number (090724-000102, just in case someone of customer service reads the forum) and a reply from Michael that just reads "Thanks for your message regarding your PDF upload. We are looking into this and will get back to you shortly once we know more."

This was on 24 July and even two friendly reminders on 07/28 and 08/01 did not trigger a reply. This is my first try of blurb.com and if I would be really disappointed if I can’t get my book printed here. So Blurbarians, if you read this, there is a customer out there who is currently ceasing to be a customer before his first purchase. Your chance to do something about it

Posted by
Zampolit
Aug 4, 2009 6:49am PDT
Zampolit

Hi.

I had also similar problem. Preflight check was saying that problem exist, but what problem, it was a mystery. My solution was, that I stop using True Type fonts in my book. Now using Adobe fonts and no problem.

Posted by
andresppp
Aug 4, 2009 8:29am PDT
andresppp

Craig from Customer Support contacted my now and suggested that the error was triggered by some font issue (just as with andrespp) and while they were unable to pin down the text element that caused the trouble, he suggested to convert all text to vectors (InDesign: Create outline). Problem solved!

This way there is no need to abstain from using certain font types and if you know the right short cuts it is a matter of a few minutes in InDesign for an 80-pages book.

I have now ordered my book and am looking forward to hold it in my hands!

Posted by
Zampolit
Aug 5, 2009 4:27am PDT
Zampolit

I’ve had on-going font problems since the Beta and have yet to produce a book through PDF upload!!

I found that the font problem is apparently due to a condensed font after much cutting down of my book until I got the actual frame with the error and then running it through the pre-flight check at work.

Converting to outlines really isn’t a solution – it’s getting around a fundemental problem that really shouldn’t exist. You may as well go and load your PDF into booksmart the old way! Lulu, for one, have never had a problem with any of my PDFs. Blurb really need to tweak their pre-flight so it passes these kinds of font "problems". Goodness me – I’m using Palatino Linotype – hardly an exotic font!!

Posted by
cbnewham
Aug 6, 2009 12:15pm PDT
cbnewham

- Uploaded PDFs with no problem
- Received an unspecific ‘Preflight error’ message
- Sent a message to Blurb who said they would respond within a day
- No further correspondence from them
- A shame, as the service looks wonderful and easy on the outside
- Blurb, if you read this, please reply to me!

Posted by
paddymilner
Aug 21, 2009 3:19am PDT
paddymilner

Can someone from Blurb please contact me…Please???
This is a present for my best friend’s wedding on 1st September and I’m really worried that I will not be able to get this printed on time. I don’t understand why you don’t get back to people when you say you will. It’s a shame because the offer is great but customer service is a bit of a let down. I have followed all the specifications you require and yet we get this error message. If anyone from Blurb reads this and is nice enough to contact me, the error number is 819393.
Thanks

Posted by
paddymilner
Aug 22, 2009 4:18am PDT
paddymilner