PDF to Book

Locked Aperture and Blurb

Hi,

for my photos I use Aperture and I am guessing if anybody has any experience using PDF to Book with PDFs created by Aperture.

I know I could use Apple Photo Print Services but they do not ship in Slovenia, so Blurb is the other option.

Matej

Posted by
mkurent
Aug 25, 2009 2:07pm PDT
mkurent

Hi

I have used Aperture to create Blurb books.

The first way, I created the book (as custom size book) in Aperture, then exported (ie printed) the book to jpg. I then imported those jpgs into BookSmart as full bleed pages. The final book looked great and was very happy with it.

The second way, again created the custom book in Aperture, but this time printed the book to the in built PDF-X export. I then used InDesign and Blurb’s templates to create the cover. I haven’t seen the book yet, as it’s due to ship on Friday.

If you don’t have InDesign, then may be the best way is to imported the pages into BookSmart. I’m not sure how the text will come out though.

May be someone else could shed some light on this?

Shrey

Posted by
shrey
Aug 26, 2009 2:51am PDT
shrey

How do you exported the book in jpeg?

Posted by
voglm1
Sep 6, 2009 5:55am PDT
voglm1

The same way you export to PDF-X. There is an option when printing the book (to PDF) to export to a folder of jpgs.

I received the book I made with Aperture and InDesign – I was blown away with it! I thought it was superb. The colours where rich and vibrant and the photos where as sharp as I would like.

In fact, no complaints with the book, only the upload process left a lot to be desired.

Shrey

Posted by
shrey
Sep 6, 2009 8:15am PDT
shrey

How many dpis do the export jpgs from aperture have?

200dpi?

Posted by
voglm1
Sep 7, 2009 5:54am PDT
voglm1

Yep. 200dpi

When I imported them into BookSmart, the book came out great. In fact, I did not realise that they were 200dpi until I did my second book via the PDF upload!

Shrey

Posted by
shrey
Sep 7, 2009 1:41pm PDT
shrey

Ok, i made a Automator-Script to export it with 300dpi. Today i will try… thx for your Infos!

Posted by
voglm1
Sep 7, 2009 1:52pm PDT
voglm1

I’ve just written a step by step for using Aperture’s book layout tool to generate PDFs for blurb – check it out here

http://thedailychainsawofjoy.blogspot.com/2009/09/blurb-and-apertures-custom-book-layout.html

Posted by
mwyplummer
Sep 16, 2009 5:50pm PDT
mwyplummer

Matthew, thank you VERY MUCH for sharing this info! It is exactly what I was looking for!

Bill

Posted by
whbooz
Nov 12, 2009 9:36am PDT
whbooz

Hi all,

Wanted to chime in and thank Matthew for his Aperture tutorial, which is perfect for designing the PAGES of a custom book.
However, I am still in the dark as to designing a custom book COVER using Aperture. I understand Blurb needs two separate PDFs, one for the pages, one for the cover. But Aperture’s custom book master pages don’t include a HARD COVER option, so I have no idea how to, basically, create a spine for the book.
Is there anyone who has actually made a hard cover PDF using Aperture and would kindly enlighten me on the process? Unfortunately, I am unable to use inDesign.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Posted by
chiaras
Nov 13, 2009 7:33am PDT
chiaras

Sorry, I went straight to InDesign to do the cover – you could definitely do something in Aperture 2 but doing spine text is way easier in InDesign. Perhaps you could have a go using Pages, Word, NeoOffice, etc.?

Posted by
mwyplummer
Nov 20, 2009 4:41am PDT
mwyplummer

Hey guys, this thread has been useful.  Thanks for the info.  Aperture doesn’t currently have a hardcover option for a custom size book.  My first suggestion is that you please use the link in Aperture to provide feedback to Apple to fix that.  They are usually good at implementing features, from my experience with Logic Studio. 

I don’t have indesign, too friggin’ expensive, so for now, I guess I have to do it the hard way in photoshop, by creating the margins myself and then finally exporting to pdf.  I hope that works out well.

Posted by
benjijk
Mar 11, 2010 12:27pm PDT
benjijk

Regarding creating a PDF for the cover can you not use the specifications from Blurb to create a "book" for the cover, with each page the same size as the cover.  Carry out the design on one page only, and use the Print -> PDF options in Aperture to export this single page as a PDF

In terms of doing the spine, Blurb gives you the dimensions of the spine which presumably are centered in the middle of the cover.  So (with a little bit of maths) you can create photo boxes that line up with the edges of the page which represent the front and back cover, leaving a tall thin space in the middle for the spine of the book.  Then put whatever text you want into this tall thin space.  THe only thing I’m not sure if you can do is rotate the text in the text box so it goes down the spine

That’s what I’m hoping to do next week with my first Blurb book – am I missing something here?  Its a bit convoluted but I have no other program available to create the PDF so I’m hoping it works OK

Posted by
dfarquhar
Apr 15, 2010 8:11am PDT
dfarquhar