PDF to Book

Cover Design

Hi!
I made a Standard Landscape book with 120 pages… but i can’t understand why the Spine Calculator says that the cover should be 73.66 × 20.956 (trim size) cm. If I add the two flaps size, the spine, the front and the back sizes : 2*24,13 + 2*10,30 + 1,91… it equals 10,77cm.

Can anyone explain the difference ?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
j2bbayle
Aug 28, 2009 4:18am PDT
j2bbayle

Thats because blurb use standard hardcovers. Your book cover fits for books, that have pages 73-146. If you use InDesign, then use blurb templates. There is for that book exact cover.

Posted by
andresppp
Aug 28, 2009 9:09am PDT
andresppp

Well thanks, but I don’t use InDesign, but Apple iWork Pages…
And I’d like to know where exactly the flaps area ends, the spine…
Should I inverse the front and the back of the cover ?

Posted by
j2bbayle
Aug 28, 2009 9:26am PDT
j2bbayle

Is there anyone who can help me?
I assume the size of the cover is standard hardcovers, but how do I know where the spine exactly is, or the flaps… I need to know this to design the cover. And moreover, is the front of the cover on the left or on the right ?

By the way, if anyone is interested, I made an iWork Pages template for Standard Landscape books, with many different predefined pages (some with text and photos, others with photos…)

Posted by
j2bbayle
Aug 29, 2009 4:10am PDT
j2bbayle

Hi !

I take the sizes from indesign template:

Back flap: 10,6186 cm

Back cover: 25,2589 cm

Spine: 1,905 cm

Front cover: 25,2589 cm

Front flap: 10,6189

Front cover should be on right.

Back flap | Back cover | Spine | Front cover | Front flap

Posted by
andresppp
Aug 31, 2009 2:38am PDT
andresppp

These previous measurements are for 120 pages book, hard cover, dust jacket and premium paper, for standard landscape book

Posted by
andresppp
Aug 31, 2009 2:39am PDT
andresppp

Thanks very much !

Posted by
j2bbayle
Aug 31, 2009 5:47am PDT
j2bbayle

J2bbayle, I would be interested in your templates for Apple Pages.  Any way to post them or a link to them?

How are you converting Pages PDF to the PDF that Blurb needs?

Bruce

Posted by
svskyus
Sep 6, 2009 8:38pm PDT
svskyus

Hi!
I haven’t converted my Pages document yet ; but I think the only thing to do is to choose File > Print and then PDF. Perhaps you’ll have to use a ColorSync filter.

Maybe I should send you the template by email… I don’t see other way to link it…

Posted by
j2bbayle
Sep 7, 2009 2:46pm PDT
j2bbayle