PDF to Book

Size Check Discrepency and Fold Line Vs Fold Over Allowance

I’ve downloaded template for standard landscape 8 × 10 standard paper, dust jacket for InDesign CS3 and have installed Blurb PDF X-3 v 1-1 export preset. The file name is "Cover_DJ_20-72pg_Std_Lndscp_StdPpr_v2.indd".

Thecompleted PDF that I exported using that setting the size (File > Properties) is 29.25 × 8.5.

However the Blurb PDF upload process advises me that I need to check and make sure mysize is 29.236 × 8.5. Huh? During upload I’ve chosen all the same paramaters as for the template cover i downloaded (pg size, std paper, dust jacket, standard landscape). My understanding is that the export preset guarentees the correct export size.

What gives, do you think? Should I be concerned? I am because my cover preview looks wonky. I’m trying to full bleed the cover but there is a small white bar showing on right hand side. On the template I’ve extended my photo to the Fold Line, but perhaps I should have extended it to the "fold over allowance" line? OR … is it because my template is a little smaller than the Blurb recommendation. Arggghhh. Have I downloaded the wrong template? Is the Blurb template mislabelled?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
pittpaul
Mar 24, 2010 8:48pm PDT
pittpaul

Hi pittpaul,

When adding an image to the cover that you also want to bleed off the page, make sure to place the image to the second fully green line (not the dotted green, which indicates the approximate fold area). This is why you are seeing a white strip on your cover preview.

Note the online preview will show all pages, including cover, with bleed. So your actual printed book will look a bit different (as the bleed area will be folded, trimmed etc).

Finally,  the difference between 29.25" and 29.236" is one point. This shouldn’t be a problem due to the extremely small difference between the two.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Mar 25, 2010 9:53am PDT
csm Icon_staff

I have exact the same problem. I want to center a picture on the front cover, but I don’t know between which lines I have to center. It looks awfull when I uploaded my book and started again and started again. I don’t want to sell a book that doesn’t look good. Becaus my clients look on blurb and don’t see my real cover. When I thougt I centered it, I saw a big white area on the right site on the blurb cover. I repeatily sent an email and I din’t get an answer between which lines I must center. Between the spine and the dotted green line or between the spine and the fully green line

Posted by
marjannetje
Jul 27, 2011 12:54pm PDT
marjannetje