PDF to Book

Locked PDF to Book: File Size Changes when making PDF

Why is it every time I convert the Blurb book/page template AND Blurb cover template to a PDF using Blurb’s PDF/X-3:2002 export it changes my file sizes. My Blurb design templates are obviously the correct size, but then it totally changes in the conversion to PDF. Again, I’m using all of Blurb’s templates for both book pages, book cover, AND the appropriate PDF preset.

Anyone else have this insane problem. I’m ready to totally just forget it.

Posted by
famousauthor
May 10, 2010 12:12pm PDT
famousauthor

Hi,

Sorry to hear of this trouble. I see you’ve been in contact with Customer Support and successfully uploaded your PDF files yesterday.

I’d be interested in hearing what your solution was in order to help others that may be having a similar problem.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
May 11, 2010 8:36am PDT
csm Icon_staff

so would I. im having the same problems!

Posted by
domu
May 11, 2010 3:33pm PDT
domu

I used the Blurb PDF to book template for the cover and when I used the Blurb PDF/X-3:2002 preset it changed the correct dimensions of the cover so it was not accepted. I began using the Blurb pages template (PDF to book) and only changed the margins not the actual page dimensions. I was also not able to use the PDF/X-3:2002 preset from Blurb for both the cover and pages, because it changed the actual dimensions and was not accepted.

What worked was making the PDF using the Adobe preset of PDF x-3:2002 that came with my InDesign, not the actual PDF/X-3:2002 that I previously downloaded from Blurb.

In hindsight why did the original Adobe PDF x-3:2002 that came with my InDesign work and the one that Blurb provides (that appears the same name/title) PDF/X-3:2002 work? I thought that just modifying my white space/page margins and NOT the actual page dimensions would not affect the Blurb template or conversion down the road.

Hope this info helps….any words of advice for future work?

Posted by
famousauthor
May 14, 2010 9:47am PDT
famousauthor

This used to happen to me but I completely found an easy fix. Instead of using the PDF/X-3:2002 export setting as is, I go into the Adobe PDF Presets area of the File Menu in InDesign and click on Define. A window will pop up. Click on “PDF/X-3:2002” but then click “New.” It loads all of the PDF/X-3:2002 presets but allows you to name yourself a new one which I call “Blurb Book Preset.”

[Moderator note: Use the Blurb PDF Export Preset (without modification) to achieve the same results].

Once you name your own, in the leftnav, go to “Marks and Bleeds” and in the “Bleed and Slug” area of the dialog box, check the box that says “Use Document Bleed Settings”. Hit OK. Then EXPORT your cover and page documents with this NEW and improved Preset. It works for me every time. It may round up or down on the calculation but that won’t stop the preflight check as long as it’s very close.

Btw, in case it matters, I use CS4 Adobe InDesign and I’m on a MacBook Pro.

Hope that helps. I fortunately had a very savvy art director at my workplace that was able to figure it out for me and now I’m happy to share the fix.

Posted by
eoconn
Sep 6, 2010 4:14pm PDT
eoconn

This worked for me! Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!

Posted by
Phosie90
Sep 19, 2011 8:55am PDT
Phosie90