PDF to Book

Locked Using Scribus? We'd like to hear from you

In an effort to expand our PDF to Book Workflow options, we would love to hear from our bookmaking superstars if you’ve used the open-source application Scribus to make a PDF/X-3 for Blurb. We’re interested in (whether successful or not) your detailed workflow, what stumbling blocks you ran into and any pertinent info that could help us develop a recommended workflow for this application.

Feel free to post your response here or submit your feedback directly to us via our support form (make sure to choose the "feedback" option from the dropdown menu).

Thanks!
Craig

Posted by
csm
Jul 12, 2010 10:49am PDT
csm Icon_staff

I have been playing around with Scribus lately as a possible replacement to Booksmart, which does have some limitations. I used to use Indesign, but it’s a bit too expensive for my small business and apart from that I like the Open Source principle.

I haven’t done any serious work in Scribus yet, but just tried out the options and tried to get to know the features. It seems like a nice enough program, and as far as I can see it produces OK PDF’s. Submitting to Blurb should just be a question of the right page formats as far as I can see.

But I’m still a bit hesitant to make and order a book, not really knowing what to anticipate. The Booksmart solution might be limited in its layout options, but the workflow is really smooth.

Martin

Posted by
MartinJ
Jul 31, 2010 6:39am PDT
MartinJ

I have done 12 templates for scribus and I’d like someone to check them.

BW_Text_Template-Cover.sla
BW_Text_Template-Pages.sla
Large_Landscape_Template-Cover.sla
Large_Landscape_Template-Pages.sla
Large_Square_Template-Cover.sla
Large_Square_Template-Pages.sla
Square_Template-Cover.sla
Square_Template-Pages.sla
Standard_Landscape_Template-Cover.sla
Standard_Landscape_Template-Pages.sla
Standard_Portrait_Template-Cover.sla
Standard_Portrait_Template-Pages.sla

Posted by
betsubetsu
Aug 18, 2010 4:58am PDT
betsubetsu

betsubetsu,

I have been fooling around with Scribus-templates myself, but would love to try yours. I have a project in the pipeline, where BookSmart sets some severe limits, and would like to use Scribus in stead.

This system obviously doesn’t like mail addresses, so decipher this and contact me there if you want: martin-at-vertikal.dk

Martin
Posted by
MartinJ
Aug 20, 2010 1:42am PDT
MartinJ

Hey betsubetsu, I would also like to try your templates. My email is writetotony-at-usa.com

Thank you!

-Tony

Posted by
pilveton1
Aug 31, 2010 12:43pm PDT
pilveton1

@betsubetsu

Hi! I would like to test the scribus templates too. Can you upload them somewhere public?

Thanks in advance,

-g

Posted by
sealabs
Sep 15, 2010 8:32am PDT
sealabs

It works, look also hier;

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/10/topics/8403

i’am also interested to try someone’s Templates.

Regards Rudi

Posted by
rudi_1897
Sep 29, 2010 11:50pm PDT
rudi_1897

I’m a novice bookmaker and want to prepare my photo book with Scribus 1.3.3.13 (stable) on my Ubuntu 10.4 system.  So far so good but, despite carefully following directions and obtaining the Blurb ICC profile file, the option to export in PDF/X-3 remains grayed-out.  I hope those who have succeeded will post suggestions.  Thanks.

Posted by
pfonville
Sep 30, 2010 7:51am PDT
pfonville

@pfonville:

You should try ‘scribus-ng’ Ubuntu package. It’s Scribus 1.3.6 and with that version export to PDF/X-3 works without any problem.

Posted by
trofo
Sep 30, 2010 11:53am PDT
trofo

@pfonville:

Take a look at Scribus PDF/X-3 Overview for PDF/X-3 setup how-to and use Blurb ICC Profile as output color profile.

Posted by
trofo
Sep 30, 2010 12:34pm PDT
trofo

betsubetsu,

Do you think you could email me the Scribus templates? My email is  pixiemotion aŧ gmail đoŧ  com.

(If you want, I could upload them somewhere public.)

Posted by
unhammer
Nov 22, 2010 10:02am PDT
unhammer

@betsubetsu,

I’m interested by your Scribus templates, too.

Can you mail them to mnaugendre-at-gmail-dot-com

Thanks a lot.

Posted by
mnaugendre
Nov 24, 2010 3:53am PDT
mnaugendre

I just noticed that many of you want the templates I talked about in August. You can find them here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/159305/Hardcover_ImageWrap.tgz

Posted by
betsubetsu
Nov 25, 2010 6:37am PDT
betsubetsu

By the way, I never made a book using these templates. So for those of you making a book with them, feedbacks are welcome.

Thank you.

Posted by
betsubetsu
Nov 25, 2010 6:58am PDT
betsubetsu

Just to make sure: it’s under PDF-X/3 Output Intent (under the Pre-Press pane in PDF Export) that you have to choose Blurb_ICC_Profile.icc ?

Below are some screenshots of what my PDF Export settings look like; if anyone would like to check that they look OK, I’m sure I’m not the only one who would benefit :)

http://bildr.no/view/765377

http://bildr.no/view/765376

http://bildr.no/view/765378

Posted by
unhammer
Nov 25, 2010 7:33am PDT
unhammer

@betsubetsu

I ended up creating my own template for the little square book, based on what you’ve done for other formats.

I’m very satisfied that my .pdf files have passed the Blurb verification on their very first upload. And I should add that I didn’t know anything about Scribus, nor desktop publishing a week ago.

Posted by
mnaugendre
Nov 30, 2010 2:23am PDT
mnaugendre