PDF to Book

Locked monitor calibrations and the Blurb icc and photoshop etc etc

I’ve been trying to get my head around colour management and though I still don’t think I understand it (although the infro provided is great) hopefully I have done the correct settings….

it would be great to have some reassurance that I’ve done right thing, as it all seems a mess at the moment (although it maybe right!)

In photoshop in Colour settings The RGB is an SRGB profile, and the CMYK is now the Blurb icc. And convert to profile is showing both source space and destitination space as the blurb icc.

So images I create are the blurb cmyk (i hope)

(As an aside, whats annoying is that I have a layerd image thats RGB but of course if I convert to the CMYK is flattens so I’m then unable to edit the different layers before taking the final image into indesign.)

in Indesign the colour settings, I cannot choose the blurb icc to be the CMYK working space, so its the generic one. BUT when I ‘convert to profile’ there it is as blurb icc. Is that right?

OR if photoshop is using the blurb icc, is it necessary to edit the indesign template settings at all?

I’ve gone into callibrating my monitor display and it does not allow me to choose the blurb icc as my monitor colour setting, it wants to stick to the iMac RGB setting. Should the actual monitor also be set to the blurb icc? 

I worry that I’m not seeing things how they should be.  Dose anyone have a clue what I’m on about? (since I don’t)

If anyone has any comment thanks in advance!

Posted by
ElinorCaspi
Feb 1, 2011 10:53am PDT
ElinorCaspi

Hi Elinor,

I think you’re heading in the right direction. I’m on this learning curve too, so actually am using this to get some clarification for myself as well. Let’s hope someone is alert…

Your layered file is in Photoshop? You needn’t flatten it to convert it to CMYK. You should get a dialog box that asks you to merge or not to merge layers. You don’t want to merge and your layers stay intact:

You see that the Mode is in CMYK and that you still have the layers:

You may consider joining the Adobe InDesign Forum as I got answers there I couldn’t get from Blurb after many questions and phone calls (sorry Blurb..I love you!). This particular link I recently posted (Soft-Proofing with .icc color profiles) may answer questions you may have concerning your monitor profile settings also:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/784913?tstart=0

So from what I’ve gleaned:

1. Import the Blurb ICC profile (Blurb_ICC_Profile.icc) and export preset (Blurb PDF X-3 Export Preset)

2. Optimize your artwork as suggested by Blurb,
http://www.blurb.com/guides/color_management/prep_bw_pdf
http://www.blurb.com/guides/color_management/image_prep_pdf

3. Set up your application profiles as Blurb suggests (see pic below), then they handle everything through the export process. You don’t need to make any changes to their templates from what I understand.

You can handle the settings for each application separately, say starting in Photoshop (Edit> Color Settings>Custom).

I made the custom profile below with Blurb suggested settings and called it “Blurb_Jan 24”. Give it a name you’ll remember and Save.

Then I went to Bridge where I can now access that profile in the drop-down menu to sync across the board to the rest of the Adobe applications. (You can double check that the Sync symbol is set properly or not in the upper left-hand corner).

Soft-proof: View>Proof Setup:

Hope I haven’t confused things… I’m trying to solidify it for myself so if this isn’t right I welcome corrections.

Micki

Posted by
mickiz
Feb 1, 2011 8:41pm PDT
mickiz

Addendum:

In paragraphs #1 and #3 it does talk about having to convert your RGB’s into CMYK before importing into InDesign:

http://www.blurb.com/guides/color_management/prep_bw_pdf

Posted by
mickiz
Feb 2, 2011 12:09pm PDT
mickiz

sorry, further updates:

Apparently according to #3, changing the Mode from RGB to CMYK isn’t the same as converting the profile to CMYK , instructions in #3 too.

Darn, and I thought I had it!

Posted by
mickiz
Feb 2, 2011 12:29pm PDT
mickiz

Jeez, Addendum #2:

I knew there was a reason I thought you didn’t HAVE to be working in CMYK…Blurb is giving two confusing answers, both of which are correct:

http://blurb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/451/

;o}

Posted by
mickiz
Feb 2, 2011 2:26pm PDT
mickiz

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to chime in here regarding this thread. It’s getting a little confusing as you are picking pieces from different workflows and trying to piece them together. Also, it’s probably best to let those with experience with the software applications provide possible solutions. One document that is cited in this thread is for our Image Prep recommendations for color images, and then the next is a document for preparing images for Black & White images. These are two completely separate workflows and to try to meld them is getting off-track and will cause confusion.

The following pertains to our PDF to Book workflow only. The official recommendation is for you to place CMYK images into InDesign and keep all elements in the CMYK color-space within InDesign. This is not a requirement, but a recommendation as it will allow you to keep control of the RGB->CMYK conversions instead of having us make those conversions at the Print Device, where you will have no idea of how things converted until you receive the final printed book. If you prefer not to make the conversion, and work in the RGB color-space, that is totally acceptable. Many photographers prefer to work in RGB color-space as they edit their images, keeping layers and masks intact. They then will save this final RGB version as their master working file if they need to go back and make any further edits. Then they will flatten layers, apply any specific image-enhancement like sharpening, and convert to CMYK with the Blurb Profile for their Blurb InDesign file.

If you are working with the Adobe Creative Suite, the best way to get up to speed is to go to our Color Management Resource Center.

• Download and install theBlurb ICC Color Profile
• Click on the PDF to Book Tab
• Watch and follow the directions in the Color Settings for Photoshop Video
• Watch and follow the directions in the Color Settings for InDesign Video
• Watch the PDF to Book – Soft proofing video

The above steps will get you all set-up. Then if you want an in-depth tutorial watch this webinar that shows all of the steps of preparing your images, and also shows the importance of monitor calibration.

If after getting through the steps above, you have any specific questions feel free to contact us and we will promptly help you.

Thanks!
Joe

Posted by
JoeCro
Feb 3, 2011 11:33am PDT
JoeCro Icon_staff

Joe,

Is there another email with which to contact you, as your post brings up issues I feel not appropriate to discuss here? (The ‘contact us’ link you provide is generic).

thanks,

Micki

Posted by
mickiz
Feb 3, 2011 12:49pm PDT
mickiz

Micki and Joe, Thanks very much indeed!

Micki, thats really helpful, aswell as the addendums, and also makes me feel much better for being so confused haha!

now going to go through all thats been said and see if Im getting it right.

Sure I’ll be back with more questions, still having trouble with converting profile, or mode and it not letting me keep the layers. It either doesn’t ask and just flattens, or it doesn’t let me keep adjustment layers. And also the profile says Blurb now, but the mode still says RGB, the mode needs to be CMYK right? even if the profile is correct.

THanks again!

Posted by
ElinorCaspi
Feb 7, 2011 7:42am PDT
ElinorCaspi

I would just ignore my last paragraph there….

Posted by
ElinorCaspi
Feb 7, 2011 7:58am PDT
ElinorCaspi

Elinor,

I was just curious, what program/ are you using that isn’t allowing you to keep the layers? Is it Photoshop? and what file type…P.S., jpeg etc.

thx

micki

Posted by
mickiz
Feb 8, 2011 5:01pm PDT
mickiz

I find it’s easiest to keep the two stages of the workflow separate. I have a master file that’s in RGB mode and uses an RGB Working Space (sRGB is fine if your source photographs are jpegs from the camera, but Adobe RGB would be a bit better). This file is saved as a .psd with all the layers intact.

When it comes to putting the image into InDesign, I flatten the file, soft-proof as described above, do final corrections for print, and then convert it to the Blurb ICC. This is then saved as a separate .tiff file which is placed into the layout.The downside is that if I make any edits I have to go through the whole process again, but it means I keep the master in the highest quality possible if I want to use it for another purpose later.

I wouldn’t recommend using the Blurb profile (or any CMYK profile) as a working space, since the range of colours it can handle is far smaller than those your camera can capture. I’s really just designed to be used for final output so that the colour in your image is squashed into the range of colour that the printer can handle.

Posted by
charlesking
May 14, 2011 5:35am PDT
charlesking

Edit: When I talked about Working Spaces above, I was referring to Photoshop, where you do your editing. Don’t worry too much about the Working Space used in InDesign, since that will be handled by the Blurb templates and PDF export options, and everything should be using the Blurb profile by the time it reaches InDesign anyway.

Posted by
charlesking
May 14, 2011 5:40am PDT
charlesking