PDF to Book

Line art cover design looks horrible in preview/bookstore

Hi!

My cover design was done in Illustrator, placed into Indesign and exported  using the PDF preset. But when I upload all my files for printing, my preview looks terrible. The CMYK colours are completely off.

I’ve tried exporting from AI to a TIFF file, applying the ICC profile and then placing into Indesign, but it looks just as bad.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I assume the printed copy will be fine, but I want the screen version to look just as good.

thx!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
michellekwok
Feb 21, 2011 12:52am PDT
michellekwok

I had the same problem. Here is what I was told by Blurb. (I haven’t received my ordered book yet to know if all is okay):

This is currently due to the way CMYK colors are being converted to RGB for that section of our site. Print is usually done in CMYK while web colors are usually RGB. The way our site converts CMYK to RGB for the thumbnail cover preview causes these disparities. We’re working hard on a solution, but at the moment, I don’t know when this might happen.

Please be assured that your PDF cover will print as you submitted it.

Posted by
DebHollister
Mar 27, 2011 10:01am PDT
DebHollister

I’ve experienced the same issues. Many of my books look rather hideous as thumbnails (over-saturated colours, or way too dark, etc). Look at my book "Uniquely India", for instance, where the face on the cover is so dark as to be almost black. The good news is that the books print correctly, and usually look fine in the main preview.

That said, there are other issues with the main preview. I’ve found that if I use gradients anywhere on the pages and lightly coloured papers in the page masters, there are transparency issues that cause the photos to have greatly reduced contrast and colour. I’ve included apologies in the comments for each book, and reassurances that the printed copies are fine. Either I’m doing something wrong at my end with transparency settings etc, or Blurb still has a few bugs in its preview software. As the books print perfectly I suspect that it’s the latter.

Posted by
Maharg
Apr 8, 2011 9:01pm PDT
Maharg