Bookify

Problems with resolution of pics

This is my first shot at this and I am wary at best.  I uploaded 40 images and almost all of them have the yellow warning symbol telling me the res is too low.  However, the other images that don’t have the symbol were taken with the same camera and have all the same pixels, etc.  If I fix it the way it tells me to, the picture is so small that it’s not even worth it to pay for a book.  How can I fix this resolution problem but keep the pic as big as I can?  I’m seeing 640 × 480 as the pixels, if that matters.  Thanks for any advice you have!  Kapu

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kapu4701
Nov 27, 2010 8:18pm PDT
kapu4701

It may be a problem with how you uploaded your pictures – I had a problem like this before I realized I had to upload them from Picasa at the highest level instead of the most convenient and medium size level which is the default.  It was at the Picasa site that I made the wrong choice and had to go back and reupload again at the highest level. 

Posted by
scsusan
Dec 7, 2010 4:09pm PDT
scsusan

The best quality will come from photos at 300 ppi/dpi (pixels per inch) so for a 640 × 480pixel photo that means it should be printed no bigger than 2.1" x 1.6". (just divide the pixel size by 300 to get the  size of the best possible print)

But BookSmart is fairly forgiving and will accept photos at 150ppi at the lowest. So if you scale your photos using the slider until the warning sign appears then decrease the size slightly until it  just disappears they will be at 150ppi and you will get them to print at 4.2" x 3.2". But the quality will not be quite as good.

With your photos being the size they are you are not going to be able to print them any bigger and get a decent quality print. That size is really geared towards displaying them on a web page or a mobile phone rather than as large prints in a book.

Sorry.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 8, 2010 1:54am PDT
tfrankland

I am having the same problem with resolution but most of these pictures are very very old family pictures that were scanned into my computer.  Is there anything I can do to get the resolution good enough?  And if the yellow warning sign shows up, can I still have them printed in my book if I am willing to give up quality for having these special photos in the book?  And do the pictures look in the printed book relatively like they look on the screen when I am creating the book?  Or will I not even be able to have the book printed?

Posted by
psegrera
Jan 25, 2011 7:39pm PDT
psegrera

Also, how do I delete photos off my photostream so I can add more?

Posted by
psegrera
Jan 25, 2011 7:40pm PDT
psegrera

Hmm. Mostof my images are at about 300 dpi’s but my latest images were edited with gimp, after I lost photoshop. And these later ones do not look quite as smooth.

So 100 dpi is definitely too small? Nothing comes up when Iposted oneor two lower-resolution pictures, which I don’t have any more because I either soldthem or gave them away,  but anyway…I can see whay that would be a question…

Posted by
nexus7
Feb 1, 2011 6:04am PDT
nexus7

Is there a way to force the photo into original size and 300dpi?

It auto scales the photos.

Posted by
christino
Aug 15, 2011 6:58am PDT
christino