Tips and Tricks

Turning pages into .jpg's

For the project I am working on, I also need to create a CD with the pages on it. These need to be in a format that can viewed with normal picture viewing software, such as .jpg format. Is there any way to turn my pages into jpg format myself or can I have a disc sent to me with the images on it when my book is sent to me? Thanks.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
slewsader
Oct 29, 2007 11:03am PDT
slewsader

On Booksmart, go into preview mode. Slide the zoom to the biggest magnification possible where you can see one whole page onscreen, and take a screenshot using PrintScreen. To maximize your preview area, you can hide the thumbnail pane at the bottom of Booksmart.

Then paste the screenshot into your photo editing software and export to JPG. If your software has layers (like Photoshop), then it’s much easier because pasting each screenshot will result as a layer. When all the pages are pasted in, crop the edges of the whole image file to just the page size. Then use Scripts > Export Layers as Files and select JPG. It will automatically export all the layers for you as JPG files (or PDFs if you wish). From here you can even compile the JPGs (or PDFs) into Acrobat and create one PDF.

This method works better for large monitors set to high viewing resolutions, so you get more pixels in your screenshots. :)

Posted by
adrilon
Oct 29, 2007 10:12pm PDT
adrilon

Or you can probably scan the printed book :)

Posted by
adrilon
Oct 29, 2007 10:13pm PDT
adrilon

Hello slewsader;

You could try "Print to PDF" locally…

This will produce a regular pdf file, which can then be viewed with Adobe’s free pdf reader…

I would think that was a much easier solution than trying to screen-capture each page…

The only other solution I can think of is to pre-create your pages in PhotoShop first, then save them as JPEG files, before importing into BookSmart… but, again, that’s a lot of work…

I’m not aware of any easy way of converting BookSmart pages back top JPEG images…

Anybody else have any ideas?

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Oct 30, 2007 1:28am PDT
lkb-28

Printing to PDF from Booksmart was the very first option I tried. However, the pages had a watermark on them, just like when printing out to your local printer. Also, it was difficult to set the proper page size, so the resulting PDF had a lot of unwanted white space around the pages, which didn’t look very nice. In the end, capturing screenshots was the only thing that worked to my satisfaction. But to be fair, I only had 40 pages on my book, and I have a widescreen monitor (ideal for spreads) so I did the Printscreen-CTRL-V routine only 20 times. I guess anything above that would really be cumbersome. However, in the end I got a really nice PDF with the highest JPG output settings, and it had better screen resolution (no pixelation of pictures) than the preview PDF provided by Blurb.

Posted by
adrilon
Oct 30, 2007 3:34am PDT
adrilon