Tips and Tricks

Share your book marketing ideas here

I’ve created my first Blurb book (http://spectralight.com/myblog/2011/08/11/sneak-peak-picturesque-olmsted-falls-book-at-the-printer/) and I’m now looking for marketing ideas to generate interest and sales.

Please share things that you’ve tried and whether they were successful or not. Perhaps explain why you think it did or didn’t succeed or if the "jury is still out."

I will start this thread with a couple of my ideas in the next posts.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
maderemark
Sep 8, 2011 4:22am PDT
maderemark

The first tip is easy! I wrote a post on my blog introducing my book (http://spectralight.com/myblog/2011/08/11/sneak-peak-picturesque-olmsted-falls-book-at-the-printer/). Now my "followers" are aware of it and can see it online.

I’m also a freelance writer for Examiner.com. I introduced my book there in an article as it is relevant to my title – "Cleveland Neighborhood Photography Examiner." (shameless free advertising).

If anyone would like to become a freelance writer for Examiner.com (the pay is almost zero but it’s a great way to promote your work), send me an e-mail to mark@spectralight.com for information.

Posted by
maderemark
Sep 8, 2011 4:39am PDT
maderemark

Offer a bonus when someone buys your book by a certain date. For example, I’ve created a slide show of all the photos in my book set to music. I burned the show to DVD and it is now ready to be played on a big screen TV or on a computer. I set a price of $47 for the DVD. I don’t expect to sell any at that price but it gives me the ability to offer a nice discount when used as a promtional item to sell the books.

I will create a mail-in rebate form that says something to the effect of:

Get our DVD of all the photos from our new book, "Picturesque Olmsted Falls" for only $14.77 when you send us a copy of your receipt showing your book purchase. You SAVE $32.23! Offer expires (date)

Of course, you set your own prices and discounts and see how it goes. You can always change your offer if the first one doesn’t generate a good response.

Posted by
maderemark
Sep 8, 2011 4:49am PDT
maderemark

Get some free press.

We have a local, weekly newspaper that covers Olmsted Falls. I will be sending a news release to the reporter who writes little tidbits about people and happenings in the community to announce the release of my new book. I’ll include a link to my blog so people can see it online and order it through Blurb if they wish.

Posted by
maderemark
Sep 8, 2011 4:53am PDT
maderemark

Send a copy of the book to a reporter and request a book review.

This would actually tie-in with my previous post of sending a news release announcing the publication of your book. They’ll probably be more inclined to write some nice things about the book since you’ve sent them a free book to keep.

Posted by
maderemark
Sep 8, 2011 4:56am PDT
maderemark

Does any one want to share some new ideas to sell more books? Based on zero replies to this post other than my own  – I guess not. What a shame.

Posted by
maderemark
Sep 16, 2011 5:48am PDT
maderemark

This is a great topic, and your suggestions are good.

I can only add that Facebook is also a good place to get noticed by placing a link on your profile page. Periodically, I comment on the link or get a friend to post it to their own page in order to refresh interest and gain a wider audience.

Posted by
juliboc
Dec 18, 2011 10:18am PDT
juliboc

Personally, I would see if a local coffee shop would display my book for sale there. I imagine most interest will come from locals.

Posted by
MichelleCamo
Dec 19, 2011 2:27pm PDT
MichelleCamo

I made up business cards which have a picture of my book, and tells people that it can be previewed and purchased on blurb. I hand the cards out when the opportunity strikes. I have sold a couple books this way, despite giving lots out at a book show, etc.

I am not sure if people are just not interested, or if they can’t be bothered to sign up to blurb to purchase the book. 

What I have learned is that just because you wrote a book, even the people who know you still might not want to buy it. 

Posted by
CoburnBooks
Dec 25, 2011 8:54am PDT
CoburnBooks

Book marketing through social networking channels like Facebook and Twitter is sure to grab you a large viewership and fan following. Pinterest is the best option. You can pin quotes from your books or special highlights to gather public interest.If your book has commercial value, then trade fairs are an ideal platform for marketing it.

Posted by
alana12
Feb 5, 2013 5:20am PDT
alana12