Tips and Tricks

Unwanted Text Flowing

After inserting new pages into the middle of  my book, one a photo page and the other a single column text page, the new text that I write somehow becomes associated to the already existing text in the next page, when I reach the end of the new page.  Then the new page and next (existing) text page  begin behaving as if I typed them together and it takes me a while to correct this problem.  Any ideas as to how to prevent this?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
willienorton
Nov 8, 2011 9:29pm PDT
willienorton

I have the same question.
I use one text layout and one picture layout to handle my text alternatively. I found this issue on my text layout, like the flow of text in Adobe InDesign. I managed to fix this but don’t know whether it will have some side effect on the ePub format (I want to order print and create ebook format).

Posted by
wingyiu
Jan 5, 2012 2:49am PDT
wingyiu

Yes, I would also like to disable text auto flow across certain pages. Ie, create a hard page break.

Posted by
katarcher
Feb 13, 2012 2:08pm PDT
katarcher

Yes, I would also like to disable text auto flow across certain pages. Ie, create a hard page break.

As an aside, your captcha box is barely even human readable and it took me 15 tries before I found one I could enter that allowed me to submit this post >:(

Posted by
katarcher
Feb 13, 2012 2:10pm PDT
katarcher

Agreed! This is infuriating! I have a 120 page text-only book and I have had to go through the entire thing about 20 times now to get the layout right. It keeps adjusting itself automatically and moving text after the chapter title pages, this making chapter 2 start with the end of chapter 1!

Posted by
liamjholland
Mar 11, 2012 7:16am PDT
liamjholland

Did anyone figure out how to get rid of this text flowing feature? I’ve used Blurb before and LOVED it for the ability to edit my blog print out, but now with this text flowing feature, it’s getting really annoying and I may look elsewhere. Can this text flowing feature be turned off?

Posted by
JacobJonah
Mar 28, 2012 7:39pm PDT
JacobJonah

Why does someone from Blurb not come up with a comment re this???? It is absolutely infuriating. You can’t even add a new page into an existing set of linked text flow pages – the new pages are simply ignored.

Posted by
TMM123weg
Apr 10, 2012 10:21am PDT
TMM123weg

Hi all-

BookSmart is designed to flow text into the next available flowing container (this can even be that page you inserted between the text). If no container exists a new page is created and the text is flowed to that newly created page. This applies to text layouts only.

Sometimes though, this isn’t desirable behavior. If you don’t want text to flow automatically like this I recommend not using the text layouts as all of these layouts contain flowing text containers. You can also create new text containers from, say, a blank page layout, by clicking the Edit Layout button to the top of the screen. These text containers will not flow text.

Hope this helps to clarify a bit.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Apr 10, 2012 12:48pm PDT
csm Icon_staff

I’m super confused about what the behaviour is for the text boxes, so Craig, hopefully you can provide some clarity.

I used Blub to slurp the contents of my blog on Wordpress.  This worked beautifully, all the posts were brought in on separate pages.  By default, everything was put into a text layout with 2 photos.

Now that i’m trying to customize the pages a bit more, the auto flow gets a little crazy and what used to be 2 separate pages (since they were 2 separate blog entries) gets mooshed into 1 text box.

Since the book STARTED with the text on 2 separate pages (both of which were text layout), it does seem like the function to control when the text autoflows to the next page is there but not accesible for some reason.

IMHO even though BookSmart is designed to always autoflow, the actual usage is quite different.  I think adding a page break feature would be one of the most useful new features for your users.

Posted by
papaya
Jul 6, 2012 5:00pm PDT
papaya

I think a hard break would be a lovely thing. Or some command that would allow text to flow into text containers that are created via the edit layout function. Is there instruction as to how to construct one of these slurped books without using auto flow? Or does slurping mandate auto flow?

Posted by
murphyspubli
Jan 15, 2013 3:48pm PDT
murphyspubli

Ummm – Craig – has anybody been working on this?

Posted by
murphyspubli
Jan 15, 2013 3:52pm PDT
murphyspubli

Hello,

Not to sound rude but this is a horrible option. I’m creating a cook book and my text randomly flow to other pages, messing up my recipes ENTIRELY. A cookbook that should have only taken me 20 minutes has been retyped numerous times after countless unwanted "flows".  I read you can create your own layout to stop this- but do I really want to go through all the trouble of deleting what I’ve made so far just so I can spend more time to create my own template? This has made the quick job of making a cookbook a completely horrible experience. I will not be using Blurb ever again- NOR will I recommend it to anyone. Sorry for the complaint but it really is just horrible. This topic was posted in 2011 and still doesn’t have a solution? I’ll be finishing my cookbook elsewhere. 

Posted by
kaitycogg
Mar 29, 2013 9:26am PDT
kaitycogg

On the page where you don’t want the text to autoflow, hit the edit layout button. It’ll bring up a screen that can be edited. Add a text box and this will break up the autoflow. After setting the one text box to where I wanted it, I saved it and it’s now on “My layout pages.”

To set the text box, I had to “unsnap the grid lock”, make my changes, and then click the “snap to grid lock” under the View button.

Hope this helps. I had the same problem when editing.

Posted by
Niiganabiik
Apr 23, 2013 6:35am PDT
Niiganabiik

I too am going crazy with the auto flow feature.  I really would like a hard break feature.  I write a travel journal and have had to go over what I thought was a finished book several times because text  just moved all over the place.

Posted by
sylviaweiner
Dec 16, 2013 2:08pm PDT
sylviaweiner

Let me add my voice of frustration to the autoflow ‘feature’. I slurped a blog and found that in many cases Blurb combined multiple blog posts into a single auto-flowing entity. Many, many hours later I finally got my book where I want it with no auto-flowing between blog posts. Unbelievably irritating. Blurb MUST offer a hard page break option or similar to be able to easily break the auto-flow at any point of the author’s choosing.

Posted by
dblackb
Dec 30, 2013 3:37pm PDT
dblackb

I agree emphatically with this topic. I am making a book of hundreds of letters from my grandfather to my grandmother, and the text flow is infuriating. It would be ok if it actually worked. Instead I get multiple pages with Text Overflow Warnings, and when I try to fix them by adding newlines, the text jumps back and forth among pages, merrily adding more and more newlines by itself. When I delete these newlines, the overflow warnings come back. Even if I leave the newlines, it generates more text warnings on its own, in some horrible buggy loop.

I try to edit all my text in Word or Notepad  and then paste it into Blurb in huge chunks. Even so, this simple process is a nightmare.

Text handling in Blurb has always been bad: the cursor gets lost, the "end" key does not go to the end, and so on. A simple way to break the flow would make life bearable.. Please do it soon.

Posted by
eschlaikjer
Apr 26, 2014 5:24am PDT
eschlaikjer