Tips and Tricks

my fiance would like to include an audio CD with her book.

Do any of the book options provide a sleeve for an audio CD, or is there any way to do this directly through blurb, rather than post packaging manually?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kosstheory
Nov 5, 2007 3:18pm PDT
kosstheory

You can get sleeves at any office supply super store and then attach them inside the back cover.  Even if BookSmart would do it, you still have to manually insert the CD anyway, so you might as well do it all yourself and ensure it will meet your criteria for placement, etc.  Put the pocket inside the back cover like most Book/CD combination sets.

Posted by
200mphmedia
Nov 6, 2007 8:19am PDT
200mphmedia

We currently do not support CD sleeves, but 200mphmedia’s tip is a good one. Adhering a sleeve yourself is a fairly simple task. Plus, by doing it yourself, you have control over the sleeve placement, presentation, etc.

Posted by
JackLyon
Nov 7, 2007 3:32pm PDT
JackLyon

A suggestion:  Blurb charges for the book by page number, but the charge is not per page, but for groups of pages – there is one price for up to 40 pages, another price for 41-80 pages and so on.  So, if you have room in your layout for some extra pages without raising your cost, then I would suggest adding as many as 20 blank pages (meaning 10 sheets of paper) at the end of your book.  When the book arrives, carefully remove those pages with a razor or Xacto knife.  (Be sure to back the cut with some cardboard or something like that so you don’t cut into the back cover or the other pages.) Then when you attach the sticky-back CD sleeve, there will be some room in the book for the thickness of the CD, and it won’t mess with your binding as much.

Posted by
AnotherSteve
Nov 12, 2007 8:42am PDT
AnotherSteve

You might want to consider a LightScribe CD/DVD burner.  The burners and blanks are relatively cheap, the blank CDs come in several colors, and the label once burned is permanent.

Do some Googling on LightScribe.

The software is also free from lightscribe.com.

Posted by
JimmyB7
Nov 14, 2007 4:47pm PDT
JimmyB7

AnotherSteve –

Assuming that works, that’s an incredibly clever idea. I’ll have to try that one myself. :) 

Posted by
JackLyon
Nov 15, 2007 6:26pm PDT
JackLyon

search google for ‘cd Foam Dots’ – they have sticky backs – we stick them inside the front cover and they hold cds and dvds snug!!!

we also used them to stick mini-dvds inside our wedding invitations which had a slideshow of baby-photos, then teens photos then our engagement etc. twas a very nice.

Posted by
jedimonkey
Nov 17, 2007 12:11pm PDT
jedimonkey