Tips and Tricks

Grain and noise in preview but not in Lightroom 4

I didn’t know my pictures had any noise until I previewed them.
Many are awful quality that just doesn’t exist in Lightroom 4. The photographs were captured RAW , processed, then exported as two sizes – one for full frame 10×8 (2888×2310) the other as a quart size (1417×1134) all at 300dpi.
I removed any form of post sharpening and this cleared up some of the grain, but not all.
The high ISO pics are the ones that come of worst. The most frustrating thing is none of it’s visible until blurb gets hold of it. There’s also jagged artifacts on some.

I’ve ordered my book anyway as I can’t show the preview to my clients, I’m just hoping the real thing looks better.

What am I doing wrong?
Why is this process so difficult?
Surely if blurb is integrated with Lightroom 4 then sharpening should work and I should see the images the same in both?

This is all very frustrating…

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
andrewclaire
Apr 7, 2012 1:21am PDT
andrewclaire

I have the same issue.

Posted by
rezaul
Apr 9, 2012 8:58am PDT
rezaul

Hi,

The online BookShow preview of your book does not accurately represent how your book will print. Specifically, Lightroom 4 uploaded books may appear to be overly sharpened, however, the actual printed book should look fine.

If you want to see the file that is uploaded to us simply choose the export to PDF option to review a copy of the same file that is uploaded to Blurb.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Apr 9, 2012 11:07am PDT
csm Icon_staff

The PDF is perfect so thank you for the reasurance Craig.
Glad to know this is how it works…

Posted by
andrewclaire
Apr 9, 2012 3:27pm PDT
andrewclaire

I’m having the same problem, but the PDF version also shows the images with a lot of noise which wasn’t there before.

I tried reducing the size of the image using Photoshop and it didn’t solve it, only when I used one extremely small size (and Blurb displayed the image resolution warning). For this image the preview and the PDF files look fine.

Any clues? Thanks

Posted by
lubhz
Apr 30, 2012 8:05pm PDT
lubhz

I am having a similar problem. I made my book in Lightroom 4. I used DNG’s for all my layouts except when I received a low resolution warning in Lightroom. “!”

For these images I opened them up in photoshop, dumped in some extra pixels (made them 26in’ for a full bleed double truck Large Landscape) and saved them as TIFFs. Imported back into LR4 swopped the files in my book and uploaded to blurb.

For one, the File is just entirely missing , and the other has extreme noise.
missing http://cl.ly/GmFj
noise http://cl.ly/GmAN

I have not purchased this book yet. Is that why I cant find the Export to PDF option?

Posted by
bbmorris1
May 21, 2012 10:08pm PDT
bbmorris1

HI bbmorris1,

The Export to PDF option is located within the Lightroom 4 book module. If it looks good in the exported PDF you should be good to go.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
May 22, 2012 8:12am PDT
csm Icon_staff

I see I see, Yes, I did do that. Thanks. I was looking to export PDF from Blurb to see what they had. But the book has been ordered, so all i can do now is cross my fingers.

-Ben

Posted by
bbmorris1
May 22, 2012 12:25pm PDT
bbmorris1

So WHY is Preview showing noisy images..Asked the same question 2 years ago.

Does Blurb do some kind of interpolation to the images. My customer was very put off and UPSET by seeing the noisy preview inages in the book. In fact the Bride of my recent book is Very Upset and angry with me after previewing the album on line.

Whatever Blurb does to them had better change soon as it do not happen anywhere else.

Peace..

PS—What are these stupid words we have to type in in order to post. You can not always read them to type them in.

Posted by
copernob
Jun 3, 2012 4:00pm PDT
copernob

Dennis,

over Christmas and in the early part of January the forums were plagued by spammers, sometimes 20 to 30 a day – someone had obviously written an app that automated the process. Lots of us complained and the solution from Blurb was the introduction of those "stupid words".

You’ll find the announcement here

Though I notice we are starting to get spam again, 5 I’ve spotted so far today as I browse the forums.

Can’t help ypu with your real problem though.

…..Toiny

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 4, 2012 12:20am PDT
tfrankland

<h3 style="padding-bottom: 9px" class="entry-title">I’ve same problems as above..  Will my photos in print look like they do in screen..  Photos in LR (4) looked good, but in Booksmart they look terrible; over sharpened (I used LRs presets..) and noicy.  Do I dare to order from Blurp..?</h3>

This isn’t good at all..

Posted by
vepobrinken
Aug 26, 2013 2:46am PDT
vepobrinken