Tips and Tricks

number of pages

I was ready to upload my blurb album from Indesign, but then there was an error. At first I thought the album would only contain 20 pages, so I typed that in. It ended with 133 pages (included front and end pages, cover). When I typed 133, and pressed OK, it said: THERE MUST BE AN EVEN NUMBER OF PAGES. I tried to figure what that meant, but has not got an answer, can somebody help me??

I use standard Landscape, standard paper type 80#, Cover type: hardcover imagewrap. It says that I only can have 72 pages. What am I doing wrong?? I need to send this now so please help me!

Thank u!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
therfjel
Dec 3, 2012 4:21am PDT
therfjel

It is because when you make a book it is divided into signatures or groups of 4 pages together. So picture one long sheet of paper, folded in half and printed on both sides. That is how a book is printed. So unless you want a blank page some place, you need the page count to be evenly divided by four and you’ll be good to go.

Posted by
halgris
Jan 4, 2013 10:07am PDT
halgris

Your page count will need to be either 132 or 134, 133 being an uneven number.  If you don’t want to add any content, you can perhaps include a blank page as the last one to get it to 134.

The issue has to do with sheets of paper.  When you include a page, it has to include both sides of the sheet, meaning page count has to go 2, 4, 6, 8 10, etc.

Posted by
deanej
Jan 4, 2013 3:03pm PDT
deanej

halgris,

your description is right for traditional book printing/binding but the presses used by the Blurb print partners (HP Indigo 5000) print single page size sheets that are bound into the book not signatures that are folded. The books are "perfect bound" using glue rather than being stitched through the fold of the signatures.

So as deanej says the page count has to be an even number.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 5, 2013 1:43am PDT
tfrankland