Tips and Tricks

Locked Where is the folder containing contributor's photos

How do I access my contributor’s photos from my hard drive? Some of my contributor’s want me to edit their photos.

Thanks,

janie 

Posted by
tojanetoo
Nov 29, 2007 3:20pm PDT
tojanetoo

Hi Janie –
Are you on a Mac or a PC?

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Nov 29, 2007 4:47pm PDT
CapnScrappy

I’m on a PCl Thanks :-)

Posted by
tojanetoo
Nov 29, 2007 6:32pm PDT
tojanetoo

This isn’t as easy as it will be someday, but it is possible. First, you should back-up your book.  This FAQ has details for both Mac & PC for backing up your books. 

The photos are also located in the BookSmartData folder. Locate the BookSmartData folder, which contains all of your books. This folder is located in your My Documents folder on the PC/Windows. Open up that folder and you will see all of your book titles listed as folders. Open the folder that is identical to your book title (TIP: You can find this title in the Window pane of BooKSmart (top) as well). Once you open that book folder, Click into the  "library" folder. 

Ok. This folder looks scary, but it is really just a list of every photo (Original, Screen Res, and a Thumbnail) in BookSmart. Please note, if you move any of these photos out of this folder BooKSmart will not like it and may crash. Here’s how I would suggest going about this: 

1. Make a copy of this entire folder and place it someplace else on your PC outside of the BookSmartData folder. We’ll refer to this folder as library_copy.

2. In that "library_copy" folder the only files you really care about are the ones that end with .original. Easiest to see the full filename if you switch to "List" or "Details" view. These .orginal files are actually just JPG or PNG’s that your contributors sent to you. 

3. You can go ahead and delete the .screen, .thumb, and .zoom files if you’d like. NOTE: only delete these from the copied folder, not the BookSmartData folder.

4. You can now open all of the .original files in any imaging program such as Photoshop or Windows image viewer. When you double click it may ask you what program you’d like to use. Just select one of these.

5. Go ahead and edit the photos and save out with a more real-world filename.  Then, you’ll need to import these back into BookSmart using the Get Photos button in BookSmart.

Like I said, a bit more complex than it should be. Please let me know how it goes. I’d also love to hear how you are using the Community Book feature and any other suggestions for improving the experience you may have, or just things that you found confusing. 

Cheers,
Chad, VP Design

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Nov 30, 2007 11:44am PDT
CapnScrappy

Thank you so much!!
You asked how I’m using the community book feature . . . I am in the process of creating what I call a "family heirloom cookbook".  My relatives are sending me recipes and photos of their families. We are compiling favorite recipes and photos of 5 generations of our family. I’m a photographer and so most of the photos in the book will be taken by me, but many of my relatives’ photos need editing (at their request).

Thanks again for helping me with this!  look forward to  completing my project and getting my first book and ordering lots more for family and friends!

janie 

Posted by
tojanetoo
Nov 30, 2007 1:15pm PDT
tojanetoo

Sounds like a great project. If you can find the time please post back about your experience using community book. Love to hear what works well and what could be improved or added in the future.

Good luck – Chad

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Dec 5, 2007 3:49pm PDT
CapnScrappy

We’re using this as our engagement/wedding photo book.  I’m trying to find a way for people to send me their photos so I can add them to the book but I’d also like to have a digital copy for other uses later.  Right now I am not able to save the files they contribute to my harddrive which would be an extremely helpful add in (perhaps when you download the photos from the contributer server).  I have a mac so the above instructions aren’t working as well for me.

Posted by
michellebar
May 17, 2008 9:42pm PDT
michellebar

Michelle,

It looks like that you probably want to contact Blurb Technical support to help you with this, here:

Blurb Technical Support email submission form
http://www.blurb.com/help/technical_support

To do this submission, especially with technical aspect, try to explain more in details. Be sure to mention specific version of system architecture (operating system).

I am pretty sure that some technical support staff from Blurb will be very happy to help you.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Brian
[A passionate Blurb customer]

Posted by
brianbonitz
May 19, 2008 11:21pm PDT
brianbonitz

How do I do this on a mac?

Thank you,
Sophie

Posted by
sjsanders
Nov 30, 2008 6:49am PDT
sjsanders

I have the same question, but I am on a MAC; would the procedure be the same? I guess not otherwise the question would not have been asked.

Thanks,
Heather

Posted by
trinigirl
Jan 13, 2009 2:26pm PDT
trinigirl

I would like to know how to do this on a Mac also.

Posted by
derley
Jul 28, 2009 6:20pm PDT
derley

I went through all the steps above and when I tried to open the .orginal files in Photoshop, I got an error saying PS could not read the file type. I don’t see any JPegs in the folder. Could this be a MAC issue?

Posted by
swirlywirly
Sep 23, 2009 1:38pm PDT
swirlywirly

I wish Blurb would answer our questions.Frown Luckily, I figured this out on my own. I hope it works for everyone else.

In order to open the files, you’ll need to change the extension of the file. It seems like Book Smart uses ".original" or other weird extensions. You should change the extension to ".jpg" (without quotation marks). Do it the same way you would when you rename a file.

Posted by
derley
Oct 22, 2009 5:00pm PDT
derley

Yes, it’s the same on a Mac, but you have to change the".original" extension to “.jpg” or “.png” depending on what format the originals were when originally imported.

Posted by
jshook
Oct 23, 2009 6:53am PDT
jshook

AWESOME. Thanks for the tip!! Helps ALOT.

Posted by
tejae
Nov 25, 2009 6:30am PDT
tejae

Where are the photos stored on the Mac?

Posted by
ETBech
Nov 27, 2010 11:26am PDT
ETBech

Hey, I’ve just found out how to do this on a mac OS X.
It’s a bit of a thing, but not difficult.
First you need to make all files and folders visible on your mac, do this by carrying out the following:
First, open Terminal.

Type this command, then press enter:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

To allow the files to be shown, you must restart Finder. You can do this by holding the Option key, click and hold the Finder icon. When the context menu shows, select Relaunch.

Then you need to locate the Booksmart data folder, I did this by almost uninstalling the app using ‘AppCleaner’
Then you need to look in one of two places, either:
username/library/Application Support/BookSmartData
or
Macintosh HD/Application Support/BookSmartData

Hopefully you’ll find what you’re looking for.

I would add a not of caution however, make sure you back up (copy the file and folder) before you delete anything or move it around…just in case it goes pear shaped and you need to put everything back to how it was..

Have fun

Mark

www.markmurfitt.co.uk

Posted by
mmurfitt
Jan 13, 2011 1:53am PDT
mmurfitt

Hi all,

Just a word of advice—aside from Chad’s (CapnScrappy’s) advice above, we do not suggest modifying the contents of your BookSmartData folder in any way. Doing so can damage your books or cause them to go missing. Once you’re in the BookSmartData folder it may be tempting to toy with things, but doing so will cause headaches later!

If you’re trying to recover images from BookSmart for use elsewhere, you can certainly try the steps in this thread, but be sure to follow Chad’s advice carefully.

Regards,

Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
Jan 13, 2011 9:02am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff