Tips and Tricks

Locked Justifying Text

Is there a way to justify text in booksmart? I have quite a lot of text in my book and the right hand side looks quite untidy so it would be nice to square it off in some way.

Posted by
JurekB
Dec 13, 2007 5:27am PDT
JurekB

If you are computer saavy and understand xml documents, you CAN create justified text but only if you are a techy person that can deal with some coding steps.

Posted by
200mph
Dec 13, 2007 8:54am PDT
200mph

Hello JurekB;

As 200mph indicates; at this time, full edge-to-edge justification is not supported within BookSmart.

I suggest you file a "Suggestion" to Blurb, adding weight to the multiple requests that they (should have) had for this functionality… It all helps!

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Dec 14, 2007 3:06am PDT
lkb-28

Many thanks, I will probably do what you suggest Lee.

Posted by
JurekB
Dec 14, 2007 5:01am PDT
JurekB

I agree! Inability to justify on the left and right is about the only reason I had to go to Photoshop. I wished Booksmart would be truly made more usefull by having that capability. That would be a great improvement.

Posted by
cantudoit2
Dec 14, 2007 11:28am PDT
cantudoit2

I just filed a suggestion on this same need. That is the only feature that is preventing my book from looking like any other professionally published book.

Posted by
ttluigi
Jan 5, 2008 10:19pm PDT
ttluigi

200mph

I’m computer savy (been in the business since 1966) and I understand the basics of XML…....but where do I find the XML to edit it, or to insert the XML I am wanting?

.....Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 6, 2008 1:34pm PDT
tfrankland

C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\My Documents\BookSmartData\[directory]\book.xml is where the "working" file is located.  BookSmart creates this from its resources and any changes, etc. you make should be done here—NOT the ones in the program files directory. 

Suggestion: dupe with another that file before you fiddle so you can restore it.

Posted by
200mph
Jan 8, 2008 4:44pm PDT
200mph

Thanks 200mph

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 8, 2008 8:09pm PDT
tfrankland

Not being able to justify bugs me a lot too, so seeing that someone else gave altering the code a shot, I decided to ask my techy hubby for help.  What he tried was he found the applicable Alignment tags in the xml and changed the attribute to 0, 1, 2, 3 and even <string>justiffy</string> all without any luck.

Does anyone know what the steps are, exactly?  Any advice would be helpful, especially from one of the previous posters that have tried it… (tfrankland and 200mph?)

There’s got to be somebody out there that made it work.  Would appreciate any hints! 

Posted by
Izabela.uk
Jan 26, 2008 3:18pm PDT
Izabela.uk

tfrankland totally failed as well ;-(

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 26, 2008 4:02pm PDT
tfrankland

Try copying the text from Word and then in BookSmart right-click on the text box and select Paste Plain Text.  Then on the menu bar click the Horizontal Text Alignment  and select Justified and it should work.  The trick is to NOT use the Paste or Ctrl-V to paste your text into the text box.  It seems that BookSmart Paste option can’t handle special characters like quotations marks or commas but these all work great with the Paste Plain Text option.  Good Luck!

-jeff

Posted by
djschreib
Apr 9, 2011 1:45pm PDT
djschreib