Tips and Tricks

making a children's book

I am helping a friend with a children’s book she wants to publish.  I was wondering if this book binding idea is the way to go.  I am also wondering if anyone has ever illustrated a children’s book and how did you color it?  I drew the pictures then scanned it.  I am going back and forth between painting it or using Illustrator to color it in.  Any help??

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
aprilkentner
Jan 19, 2008 8:57pm PDT
aprilkentner

Depends on how complicated the drawings are.
For simple line drawings with solid areas of color, you could try painting on a separate layer for each color.
Choosing a layer blend mode like multiply.
A paper texture could also be created.
I am thinking of Photoshop.

Posted by
TomM
Jan 20, 2008 11:16am PDT
TomM

I have photoshop, I’ll try that.    Thanks.

Posted by
aprilkentner
Jan 21, 2008 10:30pm PDT
aprilkentner

I made a children’s book for my son for a Christmas present, but I decided to go ahead and offer a slightly different version for sale here on Blurb.

I have always wanted to give writing a children’s book a shot and I had an absolute blast doing it.  The finished product looks fantastic as well.  I’m extremely happy with the site, the process and the result.

My illustrations were drawn on white paper, scanned in, colored using "paint" and then imported as full bleed "backgrounds" for the text of the story. 

I would love to see and hear about your book when it is finished.

Good luck.

Posted by
boneal
Feb 28, 2008 8:56am PDT
boneal

The last children’s book I saw published by Shadow Mountain press was gorgeous, and all of the illustrations – very baroque, almost in the style of classic playing cards – were done in Photoshop, though I never would have known it, and I’m a fairly intelligent consumer. The guy knew what he was doing.

The question is not whether doing the book here will work. It will. The question is your own skill and patience – and willingness to learn and experiment. Or so it seems to me.

Posted by
murphyspubli
Feb 28, 2008 9:39am PDT
murphyspubli