Tips and Tricks

Moving the book from one computer to another

This may have been addressed somewhere, but I haven’t been able to find it.  I am making a family photo album for my Father for his birthday.   I started the book at home on my computer, but have my own business and during slack periods would like to work on my book at the store…  I tried the "export" and put it on a 1g flash drive, but my computer at work won’t open it.

How can I move the book from one computer to another?  Both computers have a download of the Blurb book software on it, but the one at work doesn’t "see" the book on the flash drive.  I’ve tried to just open the book from the flash drive, but the computer doesn’t recognize it, and I’ve opened the blurb book software, but they don’t give me the option of checking outside what that blurb book has made on that computer.

Please help!  I need to get this book finished by this weekend!

Jeanine

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
gaia33
Jan 28, 2008 7:29am PDT
gaia33

Hello Jeanine;

From the main entry page in BookSmart – you need to use the "Import" function…

You can’t just open the FlashDrive file from within BookSmart…

Hope that helps;

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jan 28, 2008 7:56am PDT
lkb-28

Assuming you’ve followed the directions linked to below, it sounds like the problem is with the flash drive (or the PC trying to read it) rather than the file itself. I’ve had computers refuse to "see" flash drives which worked fine on other computers.

You can try a google search for "flash drive not recognized" and see what it brings up. For an immediate fix, try exporting the book file to a different flash drive or to a CD or DVD if you can burn either of those.  

http://blurberatiblog.com/index.php/2007/05/17/how-to-archive-share-or-transfer-your-book-files/ 

Posted by
mikewhy
Feb 8, 2008 12:46pm PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

I’ve been working back and forth between 2 computers using this method:

1 – Download the BookSmart software to each computer

2 – Note where BookSmart stores its files as you build the book. In my windows XP configuration this is in the My Documents folder. I added a second folder in the Book Smart folder for the photos I am using in the book

3 – At the end of the work session, I copy the BookSmart folder to a thumb drive. I am careful to delete previous copies of the file, so that the file I am carrying back and forth is always the latest iteration.

4 – When I get to the second computer, I copy the folder from the thumb drive to the My Documents folder on that computer, again being sure that it is the only copy of the folder in that location. Now when I open the BookSmart software, it will find and open the current file from the my documents folder.

So far this has worked flawlessly.  

Posted by
macatay
Feb 14, 2008 10:38am PDT
macatay

If you find out how to transfer a book from one account to another please contact me…

It looks like 150 books might get ordered and my friend does not want to pay the taxes…under the radar…

Thankyou

Christian 

Posted by
CBuhl4
Mar 23, 2008 5:17pm PDT
CBuhl4