Tips and Tricks

10mp photos good enough for 13X11?

Hi all, I’m new to photohgraphy and plan to get a DSLR so that I could print the photobooks on blurb. The Nikon D40x I’m getting takes pictures at a maximum of 10.2mp. I was wondering if that is good enough for the Large Format landscape? (13X11)

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
saintalvin
Feb 4, 2008 5:39pm PDT
saintalvin

10.2MB is fine. I have a Pentax K10D which takes 10.2mp photos the size being 3872×2592 pixels, your Nikon should be similar. My photos look great in the trial book I recently received.

The template with the largest space for a photo ideally requires a 3426×2442 photo. A full bleed page for the 13" x 11" Landscape books needs, ideally, a photo of 3788×3263 pixels, Blurb say about half that size should still produce a satisfactory page (they say from 150 to 300pdpi), so you can see there is no problem.

But I use Photoshop to resize the photos to the dimensions recommended by BookSmart for each of the templates, my guess being that Adobe will have better re-sampling algorithms than Blurb – I use bi-cubic interpolation. That produces a JPEG at maximum quality of between 5Mb to 6Mb to load into BookSmart.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Feb 5, 2008 12:21am PDT
tfrankland

Are you buying the larger MP camera just to make a Blurb book?  I have a D40 and I love it.  I’m very happy with the quality of the pictures in my Blurb book.  Here are some pictures:  http://theartofengineering.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/theyre-finally-here-part-2/

I’m not sure what the current price difference it between the D40 & the D40X but you may want to save your money and spend it on a lens instead.  That’s what I did.  Well sort of, I bought a really expensive lens and I put that money towards it.  The differences I know of are the larger MP and the 40X has one lower ISO setting.  Either way you should check out Ken Rockwell’s site if you haven’t done so already.

Congratulations on your new camera and good luck on your book!

Robin

Posted by
rlmaly
Feb 5, 2008 7:13pm PDT
rlmaly

isnt the D40 only 6mp? Would that be enough for the 13X11 photobooks? Saw your blog and your blurb book is faboluous! Why did u have to get a replacement?

Posted by
saintalvin
Feb 5, 2008 7:40pm PDT
saintalvin

6 MP is still very large.  Blurb can not print one dot per pixel.  When you look close to the page you will be able to see each dot.  Note, that is about the best printing quality you can get without it being professional printed (and costing 10 times as much).

My images are 3008×2000 pixels.  At 300 pixels/inch that is 10.027×6.667 inches.  At 200 pixels/inch it is 15.04×10 inches.  The actual page size of a 13×11 books is 12.6 inches wide.  A 12.6" wide picture from my D40 is 238.73 pixels/inch.  In a Blurb book you won’t be able to tell the difference between a 300 pixel/inch or a 239 pixel/inch picture.  Does that make sense?

The book had some black ink spots on a couple of the pages.  I had spent so much time on it that I wanted a reprint because it was a misprint.  But my reprint was bound very poor so I’m getting a second reprint.  Here are some pictures:

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/4/topics/2042

Anyways, I still really love my book and would highly recommend Blurb books.  If you are on a tight timeline though you should get it in as soon as possible so incase you need a reprint.  I honestly think what happened with my second book is rare.  

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Robin 

Posted by
rlmaly
Feb 6, 2008 5:51pm PDT
rlmaly

Oh and you might find these pages interesting:

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/nikon/d40/

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/nikon/d40x/

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/nikon/#models

Posted by
rlmaly
Feb 6, 2008 5:55pm PDT
rlmaly

Saintalvin,

I have a suggestion for you to go shopping in retail, physical camera stores, and get some hands-on experience looking at these digital SLR camera. Find some kind of “comfort zone” you feel and think you find whatever dSLR camera works for you.

I don’t know the exactly experience is for you prior to your experience with digital camera. So I have no idea about your experience.

I would suggest that you buy basic dSLR camera to start with, and let your experience grow. Once you understand how aperture, exposure and all nine yards of fundemantals of picture taking with basic dSLR camera.

As for D40 and D40x, there is a big difference between those two. D40 is a 6.1 while D40x is a 10.2.

As I understand that Nikon recently introduced D60 only few days ago, it is designed to replace D40. I could be wrong.

However, you need to do some research and DO some shopping and get your both of hands touching and take a hard look at these dSLR camera. Do not make a decision very fast, just take your time.

Good luck with your shopping.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Feb 7, 2008 1:31pm PDT
brianbonitz

Short answer . . . Yes, 10.2mp will do a WONDERFUL job for you.  You should have no problems with a 6.1mp camera for that matter.  Good luck!

Posted by
herpteacher
Feb 11, 2008 3:37pm PDT
herpteacher