Tips and Tricks

Mac user needs genius

Have a Mac OS 10.3.9, and Java is 1.4.2 – can’t upgrade at this time because of some Classic programs still in use,, and wonder if anyone else has been able to use this program with these limitations – also, can’t even find a Java upgrade for the Mac –

Frustrated computer dweeb here in desperate need of Blurb – am I basically S.O.L.?

Thanx!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
florareilly
Feb 7, 2008 11:24am PDT
florareilly

You need to use “latest” Mac OS architecture to run BookSmart. You could find the system requirement to open and run BookSmart right there.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Feb 7, 2008 1:22pm PDT
brianbonitz

Java upgrades for Mac are only available as part of a Mac OS upgrade. so you’d need to upgrade to a newer version (10.4 or 10.5). I realize you need the older version to run your older apps, so you may have to make your book on a different PC.

Posted by
mikewhy
Feb 8, 2008 12:41pm PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

I realize this post is a bit late, but there is a way to run both Classic and the Panther opperating system (not he newest Leapord, it won’t work with classic) on the same computer…..  it is just really complicated and requires a Mac certified tech. to tell you how to do it.  We run both systems at once on all 3 of our GD computers.  Sorry I can’t tell you how to do it, but if you really need those classic programs and would still like to upgrade I would suggest contacting you nearest Mac repair.

Posted by
lisasketch
Mar 5, 2008 12:09am PDT
lisasketch

It’s not that hard.

Upgrade to OS 10.4 which still supports the classic environment, and all will be well.

You should also think about why you need to be using OS still. I can’t think of an application or utility that won’t do the job better in OS10.

Cheers.

Posted by
bitingmidge
Mar 6, 2008 5:29pm PDT
bitingmidge

I can think of countless situations in which retaining OS9 is a necessity. For example, there is no way for countless old tools to work without it. Like top of the line SCSI scanners costing a couple of grand on up, etc.

Posted by
Michal
Mar 8, 2008 8:00am PDT
Michal

Michael, Now you’ve REALLY got me curious!

Macs haven’t had SCSI connectors for what must be getting on for a decade, but in any case what’s that got to do with the system used?

When to OSX arrived I had a few issues with one printer and one scanner but soon sorted drivers for those, I have also got a USB/SCSI adaptor for one of the machines at work, but mostly all of that is easily handled by networking these days.

From experience an equivalent scanner to the ones that cost thousands ten years ago can be bought for hundreds now.

It’s a serious question, not a criticism, but I haven’t found any genuine need to use OS9 for years.

cheers

Posted by
bitingmidge
Mar 8, 2008 11:56pm PDT
bitingmidge

Top of the line old scanners still fetch top of the line prices. Imacon 4×5 cannot be had for less than a couple of grand. The problem is not necessarily with OSX. Instead, in the particular case of Imacon for example, tech support for OSX is simply not there, ergo no drivers. At the other end of the spectrum, same story. I have a Handspring PDA plus camera with which I illustrated many of my Blurb books. It was made in 2001. Handspring no longer exists. Bought by Palm before OSX came out. Needless to say, without OS9, my PDA plus camera would make a very pretty door stop. And so on…

Posted by
Michal
Mar 9, 2008 7:00am PDT
Michal

Thanks!

I’ve got a few doorstops like that! Actually mostly I’ve been fortunate to have moved on the gear when the new generation processors made the change inevitable, but I know what you mean!

Posted by
bitingmidge
Mar 10, 2008 2:32am PDT
bitingmidge

Thanks for all the input everyone – as for the OS9 use? What can I say?  Told you I was a dweeb.  :)

Posted by
florareilly
Mar 13, 2008 7:15pm PDT
florareilly

As mentioned previously, BookSmart requires Tiger (OS 10.4.5 and up) minimum but Tiger does support the Classic environment. Once you have Tiger and get it updated to 10.4.11 there ARE Java updates available on apple.com. Go to apple.com > Downloads > search for "Java for Mac OS X" and they will come up.

Posted by
trainjunkie
Mar 20, 2008 8:39pm PDT
trainjunkie