Tips and Tricks

how insert chart/graph from spread sheet

i have charts/graphs in other programs and want to put them in the book.

How do i do that?

ned

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
nwschmidt
Feb 9, 2008 2:36pm PDT
nwschmidt

Hello Ned;

You will need to find a way of converting the chart into a JPEG file…

I manged to do it with an Excel chart, but NOT with very good results. I saved the chart as a html file, opened it in IE, re-saved it as a Bitmap file, opened it in PhotoShop, then re-saved it as a JPEG file…

Very messy, and not a very good result, although I’m sure I could have improved on it had I tried… I was just testing the theory to respond to your question…

Somebody may have a much better route; but this’ll give you a idea of how to go about it…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Feb 11, 2008 6:32am PDT
lkb-28

Another messy approach that should work. I’ve just tried it, but can’t guarantee the quality without doing some more trials. I have Excel, so I used that.

I created the chart then printed the chart to cutepdf to create a .PDF file. There are other pdf ‘converters’ but cutepdf is the one I use.

Then I opened that PDF in photoshop. It asks which page(s) you want, I chose the one with the chart (obviously!) and opened it. You then have an image of that page (the chart)  chart in Photoshop. Resize it (I’d use resample, but some trials may be needed) to  suit the template you want to paste it into, then export (Save As) as .PNG. I suggest .PNG as I have found that text prints better when you order your book than if you use .JPEG.

Then import into BookSmart.

Worth a try?

..........Tony

p.s. cutePDF can be downloaded from http://www.cutepdf.com/ you just need CutePDF Writer which is Freeware.

Posted by
tfrankland
Feb 11, 2008 10:21am PDT
tfrankland

If possible, print a color hard copy, then scan it and save as a jpeg.  Will produce a pleasing graphic for you.

Posted by
herpteacher
Feb 11, 2008 3:25pm PDT
herpteacher