Tips and Tricks

Quality of images in BookSmart looks awful

I am making my book using InDesign CS3 and have been following all the suggestions and guidelines posted by the people who appear to be the best at what they do.

I have imported the images into BookSmart and the quality looks worse than what I have outputted, when I look at it on its own rather than through BookSmart.

My question is; is the view you get of your book through booksmart any realistic indication of the quality at which the images will get dispatched to Blur?

Thanks. 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
AlfieUK
Mar 4, 2008 10:20pm PDT
AlfieUK

I asked the same question when I started my first book and no one answered me.  The really bad quality image you see in booksmart could be considered, in my opinion, equal to a low rez thumbnail.  My book turned out worlds better than what I saw on my screen in BookSmart (they loooked beautiful while in InDesign).  My only complaint is that my colors were a little more dull than what I orig. made them. The blacks were more like a really dark grey.  But they were worlds better than BookSmart showed them.  Over all I think the quality of my book turned out great.  I still need to figure out the color profile thing, I think that will cure the remainder of my quality issues.  In the end though, your quality should be close, if not exact to what it was in InDesign if you followed all the correct steps.  I saved mine at 300-600 dpi jpg’s and they were as clear as a bell.

Posted by
lisasketch
Mar 4, 2008 11:44pm PDT
lisasketch

It is known issue. It is just that BookSmart is not equipped to “understand” the high quality image interpreted by InDesign.

However, the printed book looks very nice, then you shouldn’t be overly concerned. However, if you are really “that” concerned, perhaps that you want to test first 20 pages of your work with InDesign outputting to BookSmart and go from there.

Because it works very nicely for me and had no problem. I hope that future release of BookSmart works better with imported files from Adobe apps. It is a bit of inconvenience for many.

As for blackness text appeared in InDesign, but it looks a bit different in BookSmart. I guess that you didn’t do “ICC” profile around ICC color profile that match with Blurb’s printer’s ICC profile. In fact, it has been discussed tons of time. If you conduct search query on the topic related to Blurb ICC print profile – you are encouraged to do so.

Most importantly and in addition to all above, you may want to consider to invest in one of those great calibrated color profile for your monitor. It IS very important tool for photographers, publisher experts and graphic designers and the similar professionals to check on color management on photography or book and similar project. It is important that you do this RIGHT, so the rest works nicely from start to finished project. And it is a big time saver and money.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Mar 6, 2008 11:08am PDT
brianbonitz

Yes, I’m aware the profile info is available, I simply haven’t done it yet.  Just stating first books conversion issues I had for the other first timers that are curiouse.  I look forward to looking into the print profile and making a great book better.

Posted by
lisasketch
Mar 6, 2008 7:58pm PDT
lisasketch

I have been using MyPublisher.com and the books were beautiful. But I am having trouble downloading the software.I want to know if the quality of their printing, paper and presentation is exceptional?

Also does the paper, jackets, covers really look top notch.

Posted by
rubinkar
Mar 11, 2008 1:54pm PDT
rubinkar

I want to know if the quality of Blurbs publications is top notch.

karen

Posted by
rubinkar
Mar 11, 2008 1:55pm PDT
rubinkar

I am having trouble bring up my book. The icon for “existing book” is faded or blocked out and I need to download a 160 page book with 250-plus images. What do I do.

Posted by
rubinkar
Dec 10, 2008 4:25pm PDT
rubinkar

rubinkar,

there is a danger of your post being overlooked if you tack it on the end of a thread with a quite different topic (this one was about quality of photos. your’s is a BookSmart problem).

If you go to the BookSmart forum you’ll see a thread near the top of list entitled "If a technical prob. prevents you from working on your book, PLEASE READ", that should take you through some suggestions to get you working again. It also gives the link to how to get support from Blurb staff should you need it.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 11, 2008 1:13am PDT
tfrankland

I kind of have the reverse problem Karen – I’m really dissapointed with the book I received from Blurb.

The print quality is nowehere near what I was expecting from the images I used in the booksmart app.

Posted by
mega_kas
Dec 11, 2008 5:53am PDT
mega_kas

Potential customers,

I received my 78 page, hard bound, premium paper, dust cover photo book, and I am VERY pleased with the way it came out. My original photos were mostly jpegs from a 6 Megapixel DSLR and a few RAW from my Nikon D300. I enhanced in Adobe Lightroom and used the BooksSmart program for layout.

I don’t print many of my photos (home or professional printer) but I can say without hesitation that the print detail was supurb! My pictures look better printed on press than regular photopaper which I didn’t realize would happen. I ordered one from My Publisher about 3 years ago, and because my images weren’t good resolution, my product didn’t come out good. This time – holy bovine!

My only complaint was the turn around time (about 3 to 4 weeks – perhaps busy for Christmas), but the end product was more than I was expecting.

I wish the BookSmart program had a better way to layout images, but the frames, backgrounds, and embelishments look nice. The dust cover was thick and super glossy. This is a book you would buy at the (traditional) store!

I WILL order again now I know the quality is there. Now I just need to focus on design and layout. I didn’t rely on the BookSmart views as a judge for quality – I knew my images were a high enough resolution.

Lastly, I did some 2-page spreads and you have to leave more room than you expect for the middle binding. That middle crease eats up a lot of your image and things won’t align. (My books were gifts so I didn’t want to bend flat.)

Posted by
mikeyboy91
Dec 15, 2008 11:01pm PDT
mikeyboy91