Tips and Tricks

Bullet Points

Is it possible to add bullet points?  If so how.

Thanks

Scott

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
esctty
Aug 16, 2007 9:58am PDT
esctty

Hi Scott, are you on a Mac or PC? When I’m in BookSmart and want a bullet in a text container, I hold the Option Key and hit the Number Key for 8. (I am on a Mac. It works for all my fonts.)

•   It makes a bullet like the one to the left of this sentence. 

Hope that helps. Try it and let us know how it goes.

Allison 

Posted by
allibehr
Aug 16, 2007 10:28am PDT
allibehr

To type a bullet on a PC is slightly more complicated. My understanding (I use a Mac) is that you hold the alt key while typing a number, that number is a code for which symbol you want.

I found a page here that lists all the codes:
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html

The code for dot (bullet) is: 0149

Posted by
trafnar
Aug 16, 2007 10:52am PDT
trafnar

A simple solution is to go through your keyboard and make a “cheat” sheet. I hit option/alt and number 1-0 each in it’s own cell of a table, which results in the symbol. In the next cell, I put the corresponding number. Then I do the same for all the letters of the alphabet, then the punctuation and other symbols. Certain symbols I use all the time, others rarely, so this “cheat” sheet on my b.b. near my desk is easy to find and look at when needed, rather than using sherlock to open up the keyboard shortcuts, which is what I used to do.

Posted by
wind_dancer
Sep 2, 2007 10:25pm PDT
wind_dancer

On a pc, open the start menu, open All Programs and find the Accessories folder.  In there is another folder called System tools and inside that is a small program called Character map.  Select the font you are using and you can not only see the codes for every character, but you can also copy and paste them into most other programs.

If you don’t see your font listed, that means Blurb is "cheating" and not using the fonts installed on your system.  You can find them, and install them, though it might take a while.

Posted by
redwoodtwig
Dec 13, 2007 5:24pm PDT
redwoodtwig

I’m on a PC. I tried the codes above, I tried copying and pasting from the character map, Word and WordPad after trying the Wingdings font in Booksmart, to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted by
pages
Feb 24, 2008 12:23pm PDT
pages

What am I doing wrong?

Can’t be sure pages, but when you held the Alt down did you use the numbers along the top of your keyboard? What you need to do is switch Numlock on, then hold down Alt and use the numeric keypad on the right of your keyboard. The leading 0 is important! You can just do Alt-149 for instance.

Now with the character map you have to choose a symbol from the font you are using for the current text box in your book, you can’t (or at least, I can’t) mix fonts in a text box, so choosing a special character from Wingdings wouldn’t work.

Let us know how you get on.

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Feb 24, 2008 1:07pm PDT
tfrankland

Thanks so much Tony. Two things I did wrong: didn’t use Numlock, and tried to mix fonts within a text box. I ended up just having an indented list without bullets. Thanks again.

Posted by
pages
Feb 24, 2008 2:16pm PDT
pages

Inserting special characters does indeed work that way. Definitely better than nothing but not what’s really needed which is a first-class list element such that all bulleted text is to the right of the bullets,  properly indented. Tables seem to be missing too. Another forum suggests creating tables in some external editor, converting your them into images and printing those images instead, but of course that results in a poor editing workflow, can’t wrap across pages, etc.

Posted by
cutelyaware
Jan 19, 2010 9:02pm PDT
cutelyaware

I am creating a book, soly based on bulletpoints (Family Tree History), and a number of levels of bllwt points, so i uses word to ake the content, just being able to edit the bulletpoints to be in the right level, and then copy-pasted the information to the blurp editor, creating a beautiful view of the bullets as they are intended to look like

Posted by
schlossers
Oct 8, 2012 9:30am PDT
schlossers