Tips and Tricks

font size recommended

Can somone tell me what size font is recomended when I am using san serif  at present i am using 8 on general pagea with heading of 10 or 12 ….is that ok or too small ?? it’s hard to tell really.

Please mail me back on soulkiss@blueyonder.co.uk with answer 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
soulkiss
Apr 29, 2008 6:15am PDT
soulkiss

Hello soulkiss;

Like most of these questions, the answer is wholly subjective! t’s whatever pleases your eye for whatever size book you’re working on…

For my part I think that 12 point is probably the MINIMUM you need for comfortable reading.. 8 point for me would be a real struggle – and I’m still not quite at the "Mr. Magoo" stage yet!

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Apr 29, 2008 6:26am PDT
lkb-28

I agree. I’ve just received my first book and it looks fantastic. The whole thing is done in 12 point and I was wondering if this would be too large but in fact it looks the same size as in all the professional hard back books on my shelf. 8 point might look ok on screen but I would think you’d be in for a shock when you had the book printed if you stuck to that size.

Posted by
TheAdder
Apr 29, 2008 4:25pm PDT
TheAdder

Minimum point size should be about 9pt, 8 if really necessary. That’s what they’re telling us anyway.

Rebecca (design student)

Posted by
becmatheson
Jun 21, 2008 8:41pm PDT
becmatheson

I’m making my first book in traditional Chinese font. Has anyone tried this before? What’s the minimum size for a chinese font (so it won’t come out blurry…)?

Thanks ;)

Posted by
dianehong
Jun 23, 2008 9:24pm PDT
dianehong

Actually – the readability depends on the typeface: its x-height, aperature of the letterforms, contrast, etc.

For example: Verdana has a much higher x-height than Times New Roman. Verdana at 10 pt looks as optically “big” as Times at 12 pt.

Serif typefaces (like Times) are considered easier to read for large bodies of text because serifs aid in letter recognition.

The only way to know if it is “big enough” is to print it and see, your eyes will know best!

Leah (graphic designer)

Posted by
leahlady
Jun 25, 2008 7:04pm PDT
leahlady

Thank you, Leah. What you were saying is indeed very true.

I think ’print and see’ is good. So I’ll do it and see if it looks ok. But this will depend on the printer quality I suppose?

Thanks for your reply.

Posted by
dianehong
Jun 27, 2008 12:33am PDT
dianehong

I did mine in 8 pt font, which I could read, but my mom and grandpa were definitely struggling. It also depends on the font and the colors you’re using.

Posted by
a.penny
Jun 27, 2008 10:01pm PDT
a.penny

I just got my book. I used 12, 11, 10 and 12 is too big!!  Either use 10 or max 11. At least, that’s whats best for my book and I asked several ppl and all said the 12 was too big.

Rest of my book looks great…but really too expensive here at blurb

Posted by
Wayne88
Jun 27, 2008 10:43pm PDT
Wayne88