Tips and Tricks

Pics Problems

Trying to import pics from Google images and GettyImages, but all of the pics I want are not high enough resolution. Where in the world can I find  free pics to put in my book?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
hardinteach
May 7, 2008 12:27pm PDT
hardinteach

hardinteach,

You know, I just posted my comment in other forum just now. have a look below:
http://forums.blurb.com/forums/2/topics/2804

In that case, please try not to double post your same question. This is sometimes confusing for other participants to participate and offer some help in different forum discussion under same question all over the place.

Good luck!

Posted by
brianbonitz
May 7, 2008 1:33pm PDT
brianbonitz

To re-enforce what Brian said in his other post, and to be somewhat more blunt in my response, just because you can see an image in Google Images or GettyImages does not give you a right to use them in your own publications (such as a Blurb Book). 

The photographers who took these photos retain the copyright and have the right to control their use, and if appropriate demand a fee for theit use. If you took a copy of such a photo and used it in your book that would be the equivalent of stealing and you would be open to being sued by the original photographer, or the copyright owner, for unauthorised use.

You need to be very careful, and you need to understand the conditions that the copyright owner has laid down for the use of their photographs, before you put them into your book.

There are some web sites, such as http://www.copyrightfreephotos.com/ that allow you free use of their photos, but even then you need to caregully read their terms and conditions of use.

If I found someone who had, without my permission, made use of one of my photos I would not hesitate to resort to legal action.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 7, 2008 1:52pm PDT
tfrankland

hardinteach,

I intially hestiate to discuss further in precise and obvious details about copyright issue. Because I really understand the whole issue related to copyright issue. I am not a  lawyer myself, but my folks are. We talked about it all the time over the years.

It IS very serious topic. Sometimes general public people would think it is cool to download free image right off anywhere, even on websites all over the world.

> As for what Tony has said about copyright issue in his post. In two words, well said!

On a final note, I’ll just leave at that and step aside. Once again, good luck.

Posted by
brianbonitz
May 7, 2008 8:29pm PDT
brianbonitz

Thanks guys..Yes of course I understand the copyright issues. I’ve checked each one prior to using. I am not  selling my book or making money from it so legally I am able to use the pics. Thanks for the website idea!

Posted by
hardinteach
May 8, 2008 3:10pm PDT
hardinteach

I’m afraid you do not understand the copyright issues. Copying, without permission,  a photo in any way, whether it be for private use or for profit is breeching the original photographer’s, or copyright owner’s, rights.

The fact that you are not selling the book or making money from it does not give you the legal right to use a photo, there is no such legal right. and that applies to the majority of countries, the US is no different to the EU here. Both the US and EU have have adopted the Berne Convention on Copyright.

Copyright Myths….       http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Berne Convention….. http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/berne/trtdocs_wo001.html

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 9, 2008 1:07am PDT
tfrankland

Sorry, I hit Post too soon.

Getty Imges does have sone Royalty Free images, it also allows you to use some of the low quality previews for proofing a publication such as  a book or magazine, however those low quality images cannot be used in a final product. To use those, and to use the Royalty Free images you still have to get a licence iformally ssued by Getty Images or their agents.

http://www.gettyimages.com/Corporate/LicenseInfo.aspx

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 9, 2008 1:20am PDT
tfrankland

Well, perhaps that handinteach probably need to purchase a insurance policy to protect himself/herself from potential legal action.

Tony, it is very common that people would assume that it is ok. Not that many people realize that copyright IS very serious issue. Very serious, hands down. I wish that all public schools and universities should include copyright education, so EVERYONE is exposed to the topic of copyright-related issue. Because it gets easier for people to grab images and pass it off as they own it.

No matter what, always ask FOR permission from original owners of photos IN WRITING. No matter what! Always ask for permission and get documentation IN WRITING. Always! Some of you might say, it is annoying if I repeat this, always. Yes! Really! Because if some didn’t realize this sooner, you will be served by some servers knocking at your door at home or workforce in matter of time. I bid somebody some good luck.

Posted by
brianbonitz
May 9, 2008 3:46am PDT
brianbonitz

What sort of images do you want and describe your book… I might be able to get you some images from my portfolio or from friends..

zack@zackjennings.com 

Posted by
zackjennings
Jun 11, 2008 4:31pm PDT
zackjennings

You can always search on Flickr and send a message to the photographer. I would be more than happy to have my photos used if someone just asked me. I found an awesome photo for the cover of my book this way, and the photographer was excited that I asked him! He even offered different, similar pictures that weren’t uploaded onto his Flickr account.

It really is worth asking, most photographers love to get their work printed and their names out there. As long as you aren’t making a profit off their work, that is!

Posted by
leahlady
Jun 11, 2008 9:50pm PDT
leahlady