Tips and Tricks

Soft Proofing in Adobe Photoshop 5.5

Is there anyone out there still rocking hard with Adobe Photoshop 5.5? 

(Yes.. I would love to have a newer version but I am dirt poor at the moment)

Anywhoo, my question is related to softproofing in 5.5.  Right now I am getting a slight grayish hue and my colors are strangely under saturated when I soft proof.  I want to make sure I am doing this right (and don’t come out over saturated by the time I am done messing around with Photoshop).  My monitor is currently calibrated with a Spyder.

I went to

File>Color Settings>CMYK Setup

Selected the radio button ICC

Selected Profile: HP Indigo Press 5000 Semimatte exp05 2004/03/18

Selected Engine: Built-in

Selected Intent: Perceptual (Images)

Checked the box: Black Point Compensation

Clicked OK

To soft proof I go to View>Preview>CMYK 

If this is all correct,  any tips on how much to increase saturation on a picture in general so that it does not come out cheesy looking but that the colors still pop?   Any other advice is welcome as well

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
h22kai
May 30, 2008 9:23am PDT
h22kai

UNCHECK Black Point Compensation and, if it is an option in 5.5 UNCHECK Simulate Paper Colour. (I use a later version so softproofing options sound as if they are a little different – having done Proof Setyp my version just offers View….Proof Colours, no option to choose CYMK, but I suspect that does not matter).

In early discussions in the forums there was some mixed advice as to whether to check either or both of those settings. But the last round of discussions a month or two back got the majority view they should both be unchecked.

Checking Black Point Comopensation gives, when you softproof, a cloudy look to your photo as you have discovered. The temptation then is to increase the saturation and contrast to try and recover that lost zizzz. All that will do is give you photos that are way OTT in terms of saturation when you come to print the book.

I used those settings and my printed book, which came back a few weeks ago, was spot on. Others have said the same.

The chances are you won’t need to increase saturation at all, or at least not much. You may feel you need to adjust colour balance a little, maybe contrast a little. I never found a common set of adjustments I could make to a batch of photos, but then in normal PS use that was the case anyway.

I also use a Spyder by the way, great little tool. With mine came some software called PrintFIX Plus, I used that to calibrate my home printer (an Epson 1400) and now my local prints of photos closely match the display as well. Well worth doing.

Let us know how you get on with the new settings.

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 30, 2008 12:13pm PDT
tfrankland

Tony,

Thanks for the tip.  I unchecked the Black Point Compensation box, no option for Simulate Paper Color on my version that I could find, and it did make it a smidge better but I am still not in love with the colors I am getting when I softproof.  Maybe I will try recalibrating my monitor and if all else fails I will just sharpen and slightly saturate a couple photos where color is the main show and call it good.  I have used Shutterfly in the past to make all of my books and I have loved their color when I print.  Fingers crossed I have the same or better experience with my first Blurb book!

-H 

Posted by
h22kai
May 30, 2008 7:52pm PDT
h22kai

Hello h22kai:

I admire your fortitude in using PS5.5, and fully understand your current situation.

For perspective only [sorry!] the color engine in PS5.5 caused no end of grief in pre-press environments I worked in. Adobe fixed the problem in PS6.

Hope this helps in some way.

—Larry 

Posted by
larrygassan
Jun 5, 2008 4:30pm PDT
larrygassan