Tips and Tricks

which pen to write on pages?

I have created a guestbook for a wedding using engagement photos I took of the couple.  So I have left every other page blank for the guests to write on.  It’s obviously really important that they use a pen or marker that is not going to bleed onto the facing photo page.  Any recommendations?  I would think that a pen would be better than a Sharpie.

Thanks 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
ctroadec
Aug 24, 2007 12:05pm PDT
ctroadec

I’m just guessing here, but my vote would be for the Sharpie – xtra fine. You would have to be careful with ball point pens, as many will smudge on glossy type paper. The Sharpie dries almost instantly, so that would be less likely to happen and I think the paper is thick enough to prevent bleeding.

Of course you’ll want to test anything first - I just sent back a defective book otherwise I would try it out for you – perhaps someone else has one that could be marked up as a test.

Dale 

Posted by
dwags
Aug 24, 2007 12:14pm PDT
dwags

I agree.  The extra sharp Sharpie works great.  Ball points not only smudge, but can also leave indentations.

Bob

Posted by
bobzeller
Aug 30, 2007 3:17pm PDT
bobzeller

Hi all,

I’ve done a bit of non-scientific testing and agree with the comments above. The extra fine Sharpie worked well. The ink didn’t smudge and looks good. Definitely recommend against ball point pens as bobzeller said – the indentations are sometimes visible on the opposite side of the page. 

Gareth

Posted by
gman
Aug 31, 2007 3:08pm PDT
gman

Thanks everyone – I tested the book with an extra fine Sharpie and it looked great, dried super fast.

Posted by
ctroadec
Aug 31, 2007 6:38pm PDT
ctroadec

if this is for a wedding guestbook, you should not choose a sharpie. the permanent ink in sharpies do fade a bit over time and they bleed through the page very easily. go to a local art supply store and check out their archival ink pens. you can still get very fine tips and the ink will last much longer without fading. you will be happier with this in the long run.

Posted by
ernok1923
Sep 3, 2007 5:59pm PDT
ernok1923

This is a great forum for DIY brides. I will be checking out the archival ink pens at Ultrech. Also, anyone mind sharing which paper they used to “test” their pen choices? Thanks

Posted by
ericamarie87
Jun 10, 2012 10:09am PDT
ericamarie87