Tips and Tricks

Creating Family Trees in Booksmart

I was looking at a book in the Blurb Staff picks titled "Album de Famille" where the author created a family tree.  (about 3/4 pages in ).  Can this type of page be created in Booksmart or does it have to be created elsewhere and imported?  If this type of page can be created in Bookmaster, can anyone tell me how this was created?   

Thanks, Bob Shoberg

<h1>
</h1> Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Shoberg
Jul 29, 2008 9:10am PDT
Shoberg

Hi Bob;

I took a look at the book, and can tell you for sure that you CAN’T compile that in BookSmart.

There are many flavours of family-tree complier software around, or for a one-off, it could have been made in something like PhotoShop…

Other than that, can’t help i’m afraid…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jul 29, 2008 10:38am PDT
lkb-28

Thanks for the reply Lee.  Just knowing that I can’t use BookSmart helps.  

Bob Shoberg

Posted by
Shoberg
Aug 7, 2008 8:22am PDT
Shoberg

I am making a family book using family trees and various photos.  I prepared the family trees using Family Tree Maker software on the PC (using Parallels).  I had to save as a PDF, and then I used Preview to convert to JPEG.  Not a problem for one or two trees, but I have over a dozen, and every time there’s a minor change, I have to repeat the entire process.  Pain in the butt, but it’s turning out nice.

Posted by
thewags
Aug 12, 2008 8:48am PDT
thewags

Bob,

As someone who’s been drawing up family trees for longer than I care to remember I’m fairly confident in saying that there’s nothing on the market that actually draws up trees as well as a half-skilled user using a decent graphics package.  I’ve used most things from Excel (believe it or not) to AutoCAD and they all beat the likes of the family tree programs at drawing up trees.

aop

Posted by
aop27
Sep 14, 2008 10:09am PDT
aop27

hello

I have the gen programme Family Historian which allows you to import trees into other programmes. The trouble is they lose definition and come out fuzzy. I solved the problem by creating my own templates in Photoshop. I save all my images as tifs or high quality j-pegs and have a set in both the full Photoshop as 4 colour version and another RGB version in Photoshop Elements (I started with that and it works with a lot of things I use). I then just cut & paste the text info from my gen. programme into the templates, re-do to the text style of choice etc. and save each page in the required format. I found that a lot of my old family images with various sepia tints, had all to be re-done digitally.  Hope this offers some ideas to the problem.

rainie

Posted by
rainiekay
Oct 28, 2008 9:04am PDT
rainiekay

You can use www.ancestry.com and their publishing software called mycanvas. You can import anything from Ancestry and format it just like you would a photo book on Snapfish or Shutterfly. There are different options for importing the family tree part and then you can embellish your pages. My tree is around 200 pages right now. I am trying to finalize the info the best I can and hope to have it done by summer. You do have to pay to use Ancestry. Although our library here has it on their computers for free. But it has been well worth the money.

Posted by
needlepoint
Feb 13, 2009 12:59pm PDT
needlepoint

Just revisiting this topic – now that Blurb allows InDesign/Pdf use I’m using Indesign to draw family trees and finding it very good at it.  I think Illustrator looks a little better at it but I’m finding it enough of an effort to learn the one package.

Posted by
aop27
Jan 2, 2010 10:22am PDT
aop27

thewags: Judging from your photo that must be a large family tree indeed.

Posted by
jshook
Jan 2, 2010 11:44am PDT
jshook

I have been making some wonderful family charts (and printing in a book format) using the Macintosh REUNION 9.0b genealogical software. I absolutely love the program and am able also to carry the same data for 6,000+ people on my iphone. The Reunion software allows you to save the charts in multiple formats (jpg, pdf, tiff, etc.) I normally edit my photos in iPhoto or use Graphic Converter. The Charts are easily edited and photos are a drag and drop and size process.

Posted by
Kent4st
Mar 14, 2010 9:24am PDT
Kent4st