Tips and Tricks

Wedding photo book-need your insight!!!!

My wife and I were married nearly 9 years ago in her grandparents back garden that back onto a Forrest. Sounds romantic huh! Well we hired a colored blind photographer and our pictures came back blue. He is out of business so we can’t even get the negitives.

I have collected pictures from friends and family and have about 120ish pictures. Considering I will have to scan them and they are just standard prints what advice can you give me in make this wedding book?

Also what creative things could I do with these pictures (in the book) to make it stand out from being a boring photo book?

This is a surprise for my wife for our anniversary in Oct so I have to start now to make this happen

Thanks ;)

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
pictureme
Aug 26, 2007 11:25pm PDT
pictureme

Hello pictureme;

Well; good luck in your project; I hope it all works out for you…

My first tip on the scanning side of life is to ensure that you scan the images at a very high resolution; say 1200 or even 2400 DPI. This will generate a MASSIVE file for each image, but will give you the best chance of working with them in whatever Post Processing software you’re going to use to colour-correct, trim, tidy-up and do whatever else you want to do to improve the image…

Once the images have been worked, you can then re-size them as JPEG files at a decent enough size for printing on Blurb…

You will also be able to add frames, stamp out shapes (such as love hearts !!!), and generally create some nice effects if you wish…

As for design, I can’t help you there; but Blurb has plenty of examples you can scan though in the BookStore; just search for Wedding books…

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 27, 2007 1:13am PDT
lkb-28

Hey Lee

Thanks for your input. You said to scan at 1200-2400 but I have been told that you can’t scan a print more than 600dpi, have I been misinformed?

PictureMe

Posted by
pictureme
Aug 27, 2007 9:33am PDT
pictureme

Hi PictureMe;

You can scan an image at whatever resolution you want to – provided your scanner supports high-res scans…!

The higher the resolution, literally, the more dots per inch you will cram from the original…

For example; if your original print is 6" x 4", at an assumed 300DPI printed (which it will be at best!), and you scan it at 1200DPI, you would be able to enhance the image size 4x fold, giving you a potential image size of 24" x 16"...

In practice that won’t work, because it will be too grainy without a lot of PP work, but you should be able to generate a pretty-decent looking 10" x 8" print for example, which would fill a Blurb Page using the Landscape medium… If you’re going to use a 7×7 format, it’ll be even easier..

Once you’ve scanned the image, and worked on it in your post processing software, you can then re-size it to watever size you want (making sure to un-check the "Resample Image" box).

As an example, I recently scanned a very old and very small print of my wife’s father. The original was only 2" x 1 1/4" and I managed to get a very good 7" x 5" print from it!

Hope that helps…

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 27, 2007 10:15am PDT
lkb-28

Wow Lee that does help.

Which would be better 1) to scan a print or 2) have a negitive put on CD? 

Thanks

PictureMe

Posted by
pictureme
Aug 27, 2007 11:33am PDT
pictureme

Sorry – I have no experience of transferring negatives to CDs…

If you have a negative scanner and can set a very high resolution, I guess there’s no fundamental reason why you couldn’t achieve a similar result.

Best bet is to give it a try both ways & see if there’s a noticeable difference…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 27, 2007 12:02pm PDT
lkb-28

Something that is really nice that I did for my friends as a part of the book were to collect stories from the guests, and maybe write little notes to her.  Dont just include pictures, but also include love quotes, poems, and maybe even a letter you write to her.  It may even be cool to go back to the garden (if possible) and take pictures of what it looks like today and put something about how your love has grown and relate it to that…..good luck, great idea!  She will really love it!

Posted by
wnmarsaha
Aug 27, 2007 4:40pm PDT
wnmarsaha

If you’re no expert at fixing up photos, maybe your blue wedding photos would work out in black and white, or even sepia … that’s an easy one-button fix in Photoshop or some other program. Also, since you don’t have the negatives the resolution of your photos may not be great, so avoid the temptation to print them too large :) I love the idea of mixing them up with new photos (then you could still have some colour in your book), text, type out the words to your song … good luck, and have fun!

Posted by
BeachBride
Aug 27, 2007 5:41pm PDT
BeachBride

wnmarsaha and beachbride

Thanks for the advice. One of our friends wrote a song that we use in the Wedding I should us it. Also I kept all our dating emails I could us quotes from that…great ideas!!!!

Beachbride. the pictures I have aren’t the blue ones but picture others took. I could possibly get the negatives to those…Should I ? Would the negatives be better to use than scanning?

Keep the creative ideas coming …this is great…thanks guys

keep smiling ;)

Posted by
pictureme
Aug 27, 2007 9:33pm PDT
pictureme

My suggestions are to use lots of quotes about love and marriage, and to find some poems, she is sure to love that.  Just go on line and and do a search and you can copy them and pop them right into your book.  I used a lot of quotes in my travel book, and they really make the book.  

Also, I would check on some on-line scrapbooking websites, I’ll bet they have plenty of fancy frames and things you could add .

Posted by
sparkyw
Aug 29, 2007 11:05am PDT
sparkyw

Oh, one more idea – if you have a copy of your wedding invitation, be sure and scan that in as well.

Posted by
sparkyw
Aug 29, 2007 11:29am PDT
sparkyw

Beachbride,

First of all, I don’t want to sound very harsh or don’t want to put you down. But I dislike when someone say something about Photoshop as a “quick one-step” button fix app. It is not how it is.

As for your statement quoted as saying as in ”...that’s an easy one-button fix in Photoshop or some other program.”

I have to disagree with your statement, and it is kind of misleading and very inaccurate statement. It is to be considered a frown among high-powered Photoshop users. That is to say, Photoshop is quite powerful and very complicated image editing app. It is not for everyone to understand how it works. However, there is declassed version of Photoshop called Photoshop Elements, it is packed with some prescripted, brilliant workflow that does things automatically for you.

Other than that, when it comes to Ps CS3, there is lot more to it. Lot of different application of techinque and procedure, or performing all kinds of step by step to do image processing around Photoshop CS3, it is different issue here. It is not a “quick one-step” image processing app.

Have a great day!

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 29, 2007 11:57am PDT
brianbonitz

Hey Brian -

Keep in mind, Beachbride said Photoshop or some other program. I don’t think she was specifically stating this was a “one button fix” in CS3, or trying to understate the power of that program. I think she was just being encouraging. Keep in mind, that we have all level of users here in the Forums. Some are designers that know Photoshop in their sleep, some are people that have never considered creating or designing anything, much less a book, until they discovered Blurb. The important thing is that we make everyone feel completely welcome here in the Forums, regardless of their skill or knowledge level, and try to help everyone in any way we can. :)

Jack

Posted by
JackLyon
Aug 29, 2007 6:20pm PDT
JackLyon

Jack,

Thank You.  I was a little surprised by Brian’s post, he is usually nicer to people here.  Plus the statement he was refering to was aimed at "the sepia change" and it is a one button fix in Photoshop.  She didn’t say that Photoshop was a one button fix program.

Posted by
wildchildbmw
Aug 29, 2007 7:05pm PDT
wildchildbmw

Hello Jack,

Well, I have mentioned that I didn’t meant to put someone down with my recent post, in particular recent post here. It is just that I was a bit annoyed when people giving out the wrong impression or informationn about Photoshop CS3 as opposed to "quick one button" step concept. It is just that Ps CS3 app itself is very complicated, yet very powerful app loaded with many features.

However, if for those who I might have offense someone, I apologize. That is to say, I just wanted to make a quick clarification about that one. I’ll just leave at that and move on. 

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 29, 2007 10:04pm PDT
brianbonitz

CS3 is as easy or as complex as you wish to make it. I’ve been using Ps for years and am experienced in using it to edit and create my own B&W images (although I’m no expert).  For a learner, a simple way opf creating a B&W image is just to desaturate the image which may provide a pleasing B&W result.  I do agree with Brian however that Ps is a complex program and when used in the hands of someone more experienced you’ll get far better results by creating B&W images by other methods.

The new Black and White tool is amazing and I someytimes still use the Channel Mixer to create my B&W images. It’s down to the individual’s experience.

You can create many simple effects in photoshop with the click of a few buttons and creating B&W images can actually one of the easiest to do however as noted to get the best results, it can take more time and be more complicated.

If you use any version of Ps, try a simple method of desaturating the image and see how it looks.  Remember to save the image as a different file name as you don’t want to save over your original.

Posted by
jbdavies
Aug 31, 2007 3:42am PDT
jbdavies

I’d love to see some of photos converted to sepia, some to grey scale and some color corrected (take them to a professional if you don’t want to mess with PhotoShop or other photo editior.. 

Insert these on colored backgrounds  to offet the sepia and greyscale photos, Use neutral backgrounds (black or white) for the color photos.  This gives the photos a historical feel and sense of placement.  Use simple non-orante fonts in black or white to write your vows throughout the book and add quotes from guests or the minister.  If you have copies of your program, napkins, or anything else, you can take photos today, propertly colored, and insert them.  It would also be nice to take a picture today of your hands and rings today to add to the back of the book as a watermark…sort of a nod to the future.. . 

But…Basically, anything you do for this book is going to show how much your marriage means so have fun !

Posted by
descentline
Aug 31, 2007 9:48am PDT
descentline

For the user that is new to image editing I would suggest searching the net to determine the variety of  available programs.  Others have used Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Elements with Elements being packaged free with some digital cameras. 

The main issue with Photoshop is the cost of $600.  The learning curve is rather steep and all of us that use Photoshop are still learning the many things it can do along with the numerous way to accomplish the same effect.  Photoshop is the default standard for image editing with a lot of books, forums and websites dedicated to its many features and applications.  Also keep in mind that most programs including Photoshop have a free trial download to see if the program does fit your needs.

Jim

Posted by
alaskaalaska
Aug 31, 2007 1:15pm PDT
alaskaalaska

Replying to "Photoshop"....It’s kind of like Band-Aid, Kleenex, and Xerox…these are all brand names…Photoshop has successfully created a brand that refers to "editing an image".  Most people use very limited programs, and not even to their ability.  I use a Broderbund product called PhotoPro 2.0, and it works wonderful!  I can create layers in project mode, but not as many sliders as Photoshop has, but for me it works.  I recently found an inexpensive product at local Wal-Mart by Cosmi called PerfectPhoto.  There is no manual and you have to wing it to learn on yoru own, but this program has even more poweful layers tools similar to Photoshop for $20…..Your images MUST be of good quality, color, and professional or it will look like bunch of amateur snapshot EVEN IF you use Photoshop….That’s my take.

Posted by
davidwcooley
Sep 4, 2007 1:15pm PDT
davidwcooley

Another cool trick I learned is go to a wallpaper website or stock images site and look for interesting images for background, then you can go into an image editor and drop the opacity or change to black and white or change colors and create some very dramatic backdrops that look amazing. 

Posted by
davidwcooley
Sep 4, 2007 1:17pm PDT
davidwcooley

go to a mom and pop small/local photo lab.  they will probably have a hight quality scanner to get the best possible resolution.  have them scan all the pictures, the good, the bad and even the ugly.  they can take the scans and get a more proper color balance, along with brightness and contrast. 

By doing the album pages digitally you can incorporate many pictures onto one page making it more interesting and letting the "group" of pictures speak louder than any one individiual shot.

good luck!

Posted by
katine
Sep 9, 2007 4:14pm PDT
katine

Taking the blue out of the photos will be quite a task.  You can create a action set or script in PS that you can then apply to every photo to take out the blue.  Playing with the levels and curves will be time consuming.  Or you could just make everything black and white and save some time over fussing with color levels. 

Posted by
senorjerome
Dec 25, 2008 1:02am PDT
senorjerome

Just based on my experience, I’d scan the photos instead of the negatives.  When I scan the negatives, which is a very small image, scanned at a very high resolution (I think it was around 5000 dpi) even the smallest of dust particles or scratches shows up as blemish on the scanned image.  I get much better results scanning the photos. 

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Dec 25, 2008 7:13pm PDT
Charybdis